Macbook Battery Health?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nuks, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

I've had my macbook for under three months, and using the iStat Pro widget, my battery health is at 89%. Is this to be expected? It seems awfully low..

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Have you calibrated it recently? How many cycles do you have on it?

3. Canerican macrumors regular

How many times should you cycle before calibrating? And what effects does battery health have?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Apple recommends calibrating your battery every couple of months. Your battery health is just your battery's maximum capacity. This decreases over time as your battery wears out from a variety of factors. Obviously a decreased maximum capacity means less runtime on battery power.

89% capacity after three months is low. Knowing the number of charge cycles gives a very rough approximation of how much the battery's been through, but battery lifetimes vary significantly. Calibrating your battery allows it to "stretch" through it full capacity and makes sure your computer is receiving accurate charge data from the battery, and thus accurately displaying your maximum and current capacities.

5. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, it's been through 37 cycles thus far. I have calibrated it once since getting it. I tried to do it the other day, but it wasn't a complete calibration, so I guess it doesn't really count. I'll bump this thread again when I have time to calibrate it.

6. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

I calibrated it today. With iStat Pro I'm getting 42 cycles and 88% remaining, and with Coconut, I'm getting 85%. I've had it just shy of 3 months. Is that normal??

Bump.
    I just need to quickly figure out about the battery so I can decide whether or not to give Apple a call.

Thanks.

7. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

Hmm, the same thing happened to my Macbook. Strangely enough, it also happened during the third month...

[​IMG]

Nov.9 shows a sudden drop to 82% capacity.. but then it slowly goes all the way back up to 99% :eek: I think you should just wait and hopefully it'll go back to normal like mine did :)

8. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, that's really strange. Did you calibrate it or anything? Or did it just return to 99% on its own?

I guess I'll wait it out and see what happens.
    Thanks.

9. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

It just went back to 99% on its own :) The only time I calibrated the battery was when I first bought it back in September. Good luck!

10. hahahjoe macrumors newbie

i have the same thing

142 cycles
    10 months old

only 52% left. i think i'll call apple care

macbook 13".

Attached Files:

11. isctony macrumors newbie

Hmm mine seems to fair a little better. I try to follow the calibration instruction and do it every time i remember, i also have set it in my iCal to remind me when its due doing. I also use my macbook everyday as my main computer as i am a student.

[​IMG]

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Mine is this. Is this normal?

Attached Files: