Macbook battery life

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ipaqman, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey all,

I am going to get a new macbook to replace my old powerbook g4 and wanted to know what the battery life was like. if you could please post how long your macbook's battery lasts for that would be great.

I would be getting:
    Black 2.0 core duo
    512 ram (will upgrade to 2gigs aftermarket)
    120 gig hard drive

Thanks,

ipaqman

2. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

I personally don't own a MacBook, but a colleague of mine said that his battery lasts approx. 3 hours with iChat, Camino, iTunes, iPhoto and Adobe Photoshop CS2 open and running.

Don't know if this really helps but my iBook battery lasts 4 hours doing the same above processes, so I'm going to make an educated guess around the 3-4 hour range. (That is, with the backlight to 3/4 up)

3. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'd say it's closer to 4 hours on my lady friend's laptop running safari, itunes, and adium

4. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Mine easily stretches to 4+ hours with Safari, Firefox, itunes and a couple more apps running all the time.

5. furious macrumors 65816

furious

i got 5 hours with mail, safari, word, quicktime(open but not in use), bluetooth off, and airport on. screen set 1 notch above above black.

still geting use to the keyboard

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you ignore the battery display at the top and time with a watch, I get over 4 hours with iTunes running sometimes (say 30 minutes), MS Word, a bit of iPhoto, emailing in Mail.app, Firefox, Automator, etc. I also keep the screen at around 60-70% brightness.

7. wilk0076 macrumors member

wilk0076

I get the same mileage as those listed above. 4+ hours with the brightness down, airport and bluetooth off.

But I like my bright screen and wireless. And when I have the bluetooth connected to my phone constantly with bluephone elite, well..... that eats the battery like crazy. No complaints, though (as that's not a necessity at all).

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I get around 4 hours on my new MacBook (1.83 model) with Bluetooth off and Airport on...running Adium, Firefox, maybe the occasional song in iTunes. This includes multiple periods of sleep in between uses. I keep the brightness at about half when on battery.

The time may be longer, though...I'm just guesstimating.

9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I get about 5-6 hours running iChat, iWork, iPhoto, iTunes, iCal and the screen dimmed to about 70%