MacBook battery not charging after firmware update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DougBTX, Nov 5, 2006.

1. DougBTX macrumors newbie

Has anyone else had a problem with the MacBook not charging the battery after the latest firmware update? (I'm guessing it was that, as can't think of any other things which have happened.)

I plug in the power adapter, the light on the plug goes green, but never orange. It's acting as if the battery is charged, though it isn't. If I unplug the power cable, the battery % goes down, but plugging in the power adapter just stops it going down, but no longer helps it go back up!

Any ideas to fix? I'm asuming that it is not a calibration problem.

Thanks,
    Douglas

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. mannix87 macrumors 6502

I did the update last week and so far the MB is performing perfectly; same w/ the battery.

4. Ruhappy321 macrumors newbie

Mine is doing the same thing! I don't know anything about the Firmware update.. is it possible that I updated it without knowing? But about 3 weeks ago it stopped charging... the battery is at zero right now.
    Any solutions?

5. DougBTX thread starter macrumors newbie

A couple of days after posting this, my MB charged once properly, but has not done so again since.

I had left it on, plugged in, it went to sleep, and then I think I accidentally unplugged it. Charge dropped by about 20%, and then when pulgged the power back in, it charged back up.

Since then, I've had no joy. Will take it around to an Apple reseller to see what they think, though there is no Apple Retail around here who could help.

Resetting the PMU didn't seem to have any effect.

Douglas

6. lrymal macrumors newbie

Likewise, that has happened to me. I have done all the usual remedies. All I'm getting is the green light on the power connector. System Profiler sez it isn't charging. Other than this, the computer is operating great. Battery is at 75%... just won't charge.

Using a 2 Gbyte MacBook with Mac OS 10.4.8, and the recent firmware upgrade.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you guys physically disconnected the battery and then plugged it back in again? It's a bit of a long shot, but it can sometimes help. Give the connectors a bit of a blow (as dirty as that sounds) too, in case something is blocking the circuitry. :)

8. DougBTX thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, done that, it's one of the steps for resetting the PMU. No luck there...

9. caspian915 macrumors member

caspian915

having the same problem

I'm having this problem as well. My MacBook is plugged in right now, but there is no light on the adapter (no green, no amber) and the battery shows 2%. If I take it out it will go dead, but if I keep it plugged in it doesn't gain anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas, I've already tried the suggestions in this thread.

10. animalbar macrumors newbie

Having the same problem myself. Currently at 12% battery on my macbook. If i unplug it, it depletes, if i leave it plugged in, it just stays the same. Whenever i plug the magasfe to my computer, it flashes green really quickly. Then it goes to an extremely dim green [i only noticed it was even lit because i was in a pitch black room]... i tried removing the battery, tried the PMU, tried leaving it unplugged for 60 seconds. Did all of those [except the PMU] a few times.
    I did a hardware diagnostic test, to no avail.

I also tried charging my computer with my sisters charger [she has the same computer], and it was doing the same thing. So it's definitely my computer thats broken, and probably my battery. i have yet to try my sisters battery in my computer, and am not sure if i will be able to.

Any suggestions, please help.
    Tnx

11. animalbar macrumors newbie

Just went to the apple store today, confirmed that theres nothing wrong with my charger or battery, and it is a problem with my computer. Now, i read on a forum somewhere that replacing the logic board should fix the problem. Good thing i read that, because the guy at the Genius bar wouldnt have known that. Gave my macbook for repairs and in 3-5 days i will have it back with a new:
    Logic Board with Heat Sink
    Magsafe DC-In Board
    Battery Connector with Sleep Switch

good luck to all

12. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

After the update, The magsafe doesnt seem to be able to decide if it wants to charge my mac or not. The light goes amber for a few seconds, then go green and the cycle continues. This update sucks.

13. RoyalGala1812 macrumors newbie

same adapter nightmare

I am sick to death with the problems that my new macbook has caused me. the Powerbook did a fantastic job and never had a prob. I have the same pale green light that does not charge the battery but sustains the computer. Other than taking it in to see the 'genius's' is there any other solution to this problem? :mad:

14. quoccuong.nguye macrumors newbie

may be can...

i'm vietnam, my laptop have problem like everyone... Some guy say need to change software or bettery, so with have good point.

If your laptop like : when you put ac power and have light is green, betterry is not charging, bettery still good( can see in system profile), may be have %, charger not change light green to organce... i think you have proble, need to check`;

`you ac power line ( at the head of this, may be not fix )
    or can you check your enegy power not enough ampera...

i think you can pass this problem...

goodluck