Macbook battery randomly starts charging, even when full

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mautal, Dec 9, 2006.

1. mautal macrumors member

hey all

ive only had a macbook for about 2 weeks now... the c2d 2.00 white....
    anyways... i had a charger issue the first week i owned the macbook... the block got very very hot to the touch... apple gladly gave me a new charger....

but recently my macbook would randomly start charging... say for example the battery shows it @ 96% (with time saying charged)... i would walk away.. and when i come back the green indicator light is amber and the icon on the menu bar shows it charging and gives the time left til full charge...
    even worse is once its fully charged it continues to charge and the time becomes "calculating" for a very very veyr very veeeerrrrry long time...

ive shut it down, unpluged the mag safe and pluged it back.... samme issue...
    now... is this normal? does anyone else experience this problem with the battery??

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. mautal thread starter macrumors member

so even though now it wont show a full 100% charge...or the ight wont go green....
    just let it run down to zero and leave it off for 5 hours??

will reseting the PMU help?? it almost seems like the battery wont stop charging even when full

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Resetting the PMU might help. I'd leave it for a while and hopefully it'll eventually go green, at which point you can start discharging it. If this point doesn't come after a couple of hours (maximum), then just start discharging it anyway. :)

5. mautal thread starter macrumors member

thanks alot... im going to leave it plugged in for an hour or so... if it gets too hot i will definatly unplug it... the weird thing was it was alrdy at full charge when i stepped away... and all of a sudden it starts to charge...

my battery also doesnt fit snugly into the bay... it doesnt look like its swollen... but maybe its an issue??

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, if the connectors aren't snug then that really could be a problem. Maybe take it back to Apple just to be safe. It might be nothing, but loose connectors could cause big problems later on. :eek: