macbook + Belkin router??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by breakfastcrew, Aug 9, 2006.

1. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
    Does anyone have a clue how i can connect my macbook to my belkin router. I can see my network under the airport icon but when I press it it says cannot join the aiport network "name". I have no encryption wpa, wep security on and mac address filtering is off so I have no clue y I can't connect. Right now I can connect to my neighbors linsys fine. Someon plz help
  2. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
  3. thestaton macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2006
    man that's very odd. when I first got my iMac it would refuse to let me connect to at the time our verizon dsl wireless crapola router. so I went out and bought a belkin wireless router and it works great. try and reset your router, log into it with a cat5 cable and then get it all setup. then after you are done restart the router & restart the macbook.

hope this helps!
  4. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
  5. truz macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2006
    It's not cat5 modem it's cat5 cable. The modem supports a cat5 (rj-45) cable in the ethernet ports.

When you setup your belkin router you need to have a wired connection, not wireless.

Once the connection is setup with your belkin router you can then connect to it wireless and remove the cat5 cable.
  6. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
    I have no idea what you are saying of course your router needs to be wired to work....thats the point.
  7. quruli macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2006
    You have to plug it into your Macbook. Then login to the router to set it up.
  8. dubels macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    thats weird.. I have a belkin router that is used as a repeater and a linksis as the main router and I have no problems.
  9. tannermal macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2009
    Need help too!

I have two Macs. One is Old G4 with 10.4.11 the other is an ibook laptop (old but newer than latter) with 10.4.3. I was able to get my new Belkin N+ router to work with the ibook however, it will not see or communicate through the ethernet card on older G4. So the Belkin folks are saying the ethernet card in the desktop G4 is not compatible and needs to be re-configured, they also mentioned the IP address received by the E-card is not within range of the routers IP??????? Should I just swap out the ethernet card?

To clarify, I only set up through the ibook out of desperation (and to make sure the router worked). Originally was trying to set up through my ever day desk top G4 which has been internet ready through Cable modem for years now.
  10. mobr1 macrumors newbie

Aug 23, 2010
    my macbook doesnt seem to connect to the router aswell, i got windows and mac on my comp, i type in the pin underneath the router for my windows connection n it worked fine, but when i log into mac, it asks for a password, i type the same pin but it sais invalid???? any help guys cheers