Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pomme Frites

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
I noticed sometimes after I pick up the rMB by the the corner that the laptop is wobbly after I put it back down on a flat surface. I can then pick it back up from the opposite corner and just lift it a few times and then it back to normal - anyone else notice this? I'm not surprised because its so thin - but wanted to know if it was just me™

Just picked up a m5 2016 space grey and it wobbles when open. I'm in queue for a .tech to look at it but I want it exchanged. 2 of the 4 macbooks on display are sitting on 3 feet as well.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
I remember the 2015 MB (1.1GHz base model) I got last year wobbled quite a bit when the display was in regular viewing position, not wobbling when closed. I ended up returning it as it was right after the release and they didn't have a replacement unit. I stuck with my trusty MBA 11" and didn't manage to get another one last year.

I just picked up the 2016 model in gold, and it doesn't wobble. I figured they've worked out the kinks over by now, but sounds like it's still a possibility. I'm they won't have a problem replacing it for you though.

ZEVIN

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2016
Boston
My MacBook was bought two weeks ago, and I also found that it was wobbly on my desk when the screen was up.

However, in these two days it lies flat on my desk. I can't wobble it even if I intend to do so. Seems like the problem just disappeared, and I have no idea why is that.

Leon88

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I've noticed this on my MacBook as well. Upon some inspection just now, the wobble only begins when the screen is opened to about 90 degrees or more; it seems that the weight of the screen begins to lift the computer off its feet, and for me, the front right foot is the first to lift off.

Perhaps later in the summer, ostensibly when Apple Stores have more of these in stock, I'll go in and see about a trade. It doesn't bug me too much for now though.
Exactly the same case as mine, except that it starts lifting off from the left foot. I stuck on a small piece of black duct tape on the foot diagonally across it (top right foot) and now its solid as a rock on my desk. Not an ideal solution, but its supremely simple to do and carries far less risk than trying to physically bend the Macbook. It's barely noticeable either, so I don't mind it there

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
I called Apple yesterday, cause my Macbook was wobbling, too. Now my new rMB is on its way to be delivered on monday.
I know its been a long time in this thread... But did you have to send your old one back? Or did they just send it to you?

ilpap

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
i have the same problem. about to contact apple support to see whats their strategy on this.
i doesnt happen all the time, so i am thinking it kinda bends a bit as you use it over time. but it did it from the beginning, then in stopped and then again.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i thought my macbook pro was slightly warped, had to put a piece of cardboard under a corner when i'm at my desk. now, my new macbook has the same issue, in the same place. so. it's either the desk, or all macbooks/pros are warped in the same place :D

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I just noticed this for the first time after 2 months of use, but my Macbook 2016 also has a wobble on the right bottom corner. It's pretty annoying when typing and using the trackpad. I'll see how it goes after a couple of days of just resting my right hand on that corner with some extra pressure while using it.

EDIT: well, that was quick. I just put the right bottom corner (the side where the trackpad is) over the table border (so that the Macbook stands on 3 legs on the table and has the fourth just hanging over the border), applied just a little bit of pressure and the wobble is gone :) I'm happy again.

Last edited:

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
Sometimes I feel like I notice a tiny bit of wobble, too, especially on the bottom left corner of the device. Nothing too serious, though, the slightly uneven touchpad is way more annoying. :rolleyes:

ilpap

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
An update here.
They changed my bottom case, and there was an issue with it and it didn't hold the screen properly.
Now it's perfect

MacBook 12" 2016

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
An update here.
They changed my bottom case, and there was an issue with it and it didn't hold the screen properly.
Now it's perfect

MacBook 12" 2016

Brand new 2016 - Slight wobble (I think) but I'd like to test on further desks...

Edit: On other desks it's fine, or like 99% fine. Will keep an eye on it in the coming days. Such a thin computer, you can feel every bit on unevenness.

Last edited:

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
i thought my macbook pro was slightly warped, had to put a piece of cardboard under a corner when i'm at my desk. now, my new macbook has the same issue, in the same place. so. it's either the desk, or all macbooks/pros are warped in the same place :D

Did you ever fix this?

ilpap

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
Brand new 2016 - Slight wobble (I think) but I'd like to test on further desks...

Edit: On other desks it's fine, or like 99% fine. Will keep an eye on it in the coming days. Such a thin computer, you can feel every bit on unevenness.

but you shouldn't feel it uneven at all. a glass desk is a good solution.
also, you can take it to the Apple Store and compare it with other MacBooks there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.