MacBook Black or White?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajbrehm, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

I have come to the conclusion that I don't need a MacBook Pro (too big, too expensive), perhaps.

Two questions:

Is "black" worth it? Does it look much, much nicer? On the pictures it seems to me that white looks nicer.

Does Vista, without fancy graphics, run on Parallels on a MacBook or would I better buy a MacBook Pro?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think both colors look nice, and i don't think you'll regret buying either one. i, myself, bought a white c2d last month, and i love it!

3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

4. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

I would compare them in a store, but here in Dublin (the Ireland one), there is no Apple store and most Mac-related stores seem to be out of laptops whenever I ask for one.

Thanks for the colour opinions.

Can anybody point me to a good picture of a black MacBook? The pictures on the Apple site somehow make it look very non-convincing.

5. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Just found the gallery on Apple's site:

http://www.apple.com/macbook/gallery/qtvrblack.html

I think the black MacBook looks nice after all.

Now there is just the Vista issue. (I am in a Windows-server-related job. My Windows installations on Virtual PC and Parallels are very clean installs.) :)

P.S.: Does the black MacBook not feel too dark when typing or reading?

6. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I have a white one. I now wish that I had popped for the black. For what it's worth, I'd probably wish that I had bought the white one if I had bought the black one, though.

7. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I just bought a Blackbook Core Duo on close out to go with my MacBook Pro 17". The balck is tough to keep clean but looks great

8. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Picture a black car. Looks great when it's clean and so-so when it's dirty. So unless you enjoy wiping it down every day, I'd go with white (I would've if I could do it over again).

9. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I took the white macbook because 1) Cheaper 2)With the cash I saved, bumped the memory to 2GB 3) the oil & such isnt as much apparent on white. 4) I prefer white :)

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Travelling over the holidays I saw a lot of Black MB's (I guess they are popular with international travellers?) and, to my surprize, I didn't think they looked all that great after a bit of use. They look nice in the apple store though.

My two cents

YT

11. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

White macbook core 2 duo here. and I have to wipe it down every few days.

If they gave the option of either white or black with the midrange midpriced macbook model, i would have gotten black -- but they don't.

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

There is no such thing, the black is basically the midrange midpriced MB with a small hard drive upgrade to hide the fact that it is $200 overpriced.

Because what Apple did when calculating their upgrade fees is to kinda charge you retail plus throw away the previous drive plus tack on a small Apple tax before giving you the final figure :rolleyes:

13. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Huh? No such thing? I know that my 2 ghz Core 2 Duo macbook is white and you can't get it in black.

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

It's not $200 more. It's about $50 now. When you add a 120GB HD to the midrange white model (to match the specs of the blackbook), it becomes $1449.

15. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Well let's be honest here, if Black doesn't look good, why is it only available as the highest priced MacBook, I mean out of all three. Who cares about the 120GB upgrade you get, really, it's all about the color ain't it??? This is really an obvious one. As for is it worth it, that depends, some don't mind throwing extra for the color and the so called 120GB upgrade but I wouldn't bother and will just go for an external HD somewhere down the line, well what can you do with that extra approximately "40GB"?

16. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

LOL! Kind of like a marriage, isn't it?

17. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I bought my folks a white one with upgraded HD (to 120Gigs) and so it ended up costing only about £20 less than the black one. Why did i go for the white then? Because it is much nicer to look at imo in its glossy white shell and every blackbook i have seen looks really dirty and greasy, problems that i haven't seen on the whitebook.

18. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Blackbook Is A Ripoff No Matter How You Spin It

Not true. If you look at the cheapest Macbook (which a whole lot of people want),
    the white is $1099, while the cheapest Blackbook is $1499. That's a $400 difference.
    For the black color, you have to get the 2 Ghz whether you want it or not, you
    have to get the 120 GB drive whether you want it or not, you have to get a
    Double-layer Superdrive whether you want it or not, and 1 GB RAM whether
    you want it or not. What if you just want black, and nothing else? Tough.
    You can buy a black iPod without paying a premium, so why not with the Blackbook?

If you choose a white Macbook that comes closest to the Blackbook, the only difference
    is that the Blackbook has an extra 40 GB - for which you are paying $200 (!).
    And why pay $1449 for a white Macbook with a 120 GB drive?
    You could buy a white Macbook for $1299, then buy a top-quality
    Seagate 120 GB drive from Newegg
    for $104.99, and use the 80 GB
    drive in an enclosure, or sell it for an even greater savings.
    This is the truth, plain and simple - no matter how you try to spin it. ;)

19. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

That's the thing with Apple and unfortunately you'll have to live with it, at least for now. ;)

20. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I currently have white, switching to black in a week :D

21. PiTT macrumors member