MacBook Black Paint Flaking/Wear?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eunos, May 22, 2006.

1. Eunos macrumors newbie

May 17, 2006
    So I decided to check out how the new black MacBooks we're holding up at the Apple Store in downtown San Francisco. I was rather surprised to see that the tops and keyboards/trackpads seemed to be holding up fairly well after almost a week of abuse.

Then I decided to turn one over. Ouch.

The finish was actually shiny black on the bottom (on the scratched/worn areas). I wonder how long it'll be 'till we start hearing complaints from other folks.

I suddenly feel better about ordering the white one..
  2. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Im sensing that that is a huge fluke or someone on purpose did it, I mean if you look at were the "legs" are set there should be nothing touching it, especially, at the apple store because all their sufaces are flat so unless the paint got "burnt" off (again highly unlikely) Im thinking someone did in on purpose. And no offense the pics don't ever look like they were at an apple store.

PS: Im not in anyway accusing you of doing this
  3. Eunos thread starter macrumors newbie

May 17, 2006
    Well, the photos were taken with a less-than-stellar Samsung cellphone camera. I also did not notice this on any of their other BlackBooks. I'm inclined to agree with you about the "vandalism" probability.
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I see it as a problem, I don't care where the legs are. This could be from people picking it up and touching it as the OP has done. If I am looking at a macbook I could pick it up and touch it everywhere. Thank you so much to the OP for posting these. I am glad that you did.
  5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I take any reports of problems with display models with a huge grain of salt. People beat the stuffing out of those things...much worse than anyone who cares at all about their computer would dream of doing.

Yes, they may suggest a problem (and thanks for posting the pics), but I'm far from sold on it.