Macbook: Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hansoffate, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. hansoffate macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2006
    #1
    Hey,

    College starts in a month and I want to get a laptop. I've been doing A LOT of research. I have decided to convert from my Linux and Windows desktop. (parellells + Windows sp?) Anyways, I have heard rumors of a new macbook. Should I wait for it/leapord? How much does a new OS upgrade costs? I really don't feel like buying a macbook, then upgrading after 4 months. (remember, im a college student, I don't have the money to throw away)

    What should I do?

    Thanks
    -Hans
     
  2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #2
    you should.... do a search and read the countless other threads on this.
     
  3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #3
    Wait...wait...forever. Trust me on that. Something faster will come out. Until then, learn how to use the search function!
     
  4. gekko513 macrumors 603

    gekko513

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    #4
    An upgrade to the MacBooks may happen at the same time the MacBook Pros are upgraded. The MacBook Pros are expected to be upgraded with Merom chips early in September. Some rumours say the 5th of September.

    Leopard is expected some time in the spring of 2007 according to Steve Jobs recent WWDC keynote. It will very likely be a $129 upgrade. Check current prices for Tiger on the online educational apple store to see if there are educational discounts.
     
  5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #5
    I would get it now, that is what I ended up doing. Besides when leopard comes out you can get it for 70 bucks (since you are a student) I believe which isn't all that much.

    I think the macbook won't be updated in a while and I believe most others will agree with me on that since it just came out like 3 months ago.

    Plus, a free ipod if you do it now....how sweet is that!
     
  6. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

    AppleIntelRock

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #6
    your a student, get it now. i never got why people waited, its pointless. i got a macbook pro, if new ones come out in paris, i really don't care. the ppw will be worse, and they will have about 10% more speed. who cares? if you dont need it NOW, there is no reason not the wait the few weeks until paris, this is an apple "event" and so you may just see an upgrade. if you do need something soon, just get it- if a better one comes out, who cares? when you upgrade in a year or two, you'll get all of the upgraded features and more. not to sound like nike, but just do it.
     
  7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #7
    Agreed! My thoughts exactly
     
  8. hansoffate thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2006
    #8
    Thanks so much for your input (esp AppleIntelRock and dukebound).

    I have decided to go to campus on monday or whenever my parents give me the last 200 dollars I need and buy a 2.0 white macbook.

    Thanks for the input, and I'm sorry to the first two posts for not searching.
    -Hans
     
  9. tingly macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    #9
    The thought i always come back to is "faster computers don't help me type faster."
     
  10. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #10
    I bought one, they are really cheap if you get them refurb, like $1099 dollars.

    That is insanely cheap.
     
  11. mini.boss macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #11
    True. but cooler, quieter and more feature packed computers make the experience much better. Its been long enough that a less problematic revision b is due. And while waiting for leopard may be hard to justify, the $130 upgrade price is something we'd all like to avoid.
     
  12. meanpeoplesuck macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #12
    Is there any way to know when the Rev B might be released?
     
  13. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2003
    Location:
    NYC
    #13
    Get it now, and you can get an iPod with it for free. I doubt the MB will get significantly bumped in Sept. I wager the MBP will get a major boost, though.
     
  14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #14
    Yes, work directly under Steve Jobs, or for the marketing department, or as a grunt manufacturer in China, and you MIGHT get a hint of something...
     
  15. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #15
    I'm waiting as well, but not sure if the MacBooks will be upgraded soon enough.

    The big question is whether Apple is planning to upgrade ALL their notebooks
    to 64 bit Merom processing any time soon or if they will only offer Merom in the MacBook Pro.


    I NEED 2 MacBooks soon for my daughters, so this is important.

    Right now the best deal certainly is the 2.0 MacBook Refurb for $1099.00
     
  16. ibilly macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Location:
    Boulder
    #16
    Apple rarely JUST speedbumps, but not even that will happen, Ghz wise.

    The new chips will be at the exact same clock speeds and prices as the current ones (Core 2 vs Core) so the only upgrade would be in the architecture, which gets you an extra 10-15%.

    While that's pretty good if you look at it in a certain light (a 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo will be about as fast as a 2.2-2.30Ghz Core Duo), it's not huge, but more like a free upgrade to the next-highest cock speed.

    Back tho what apple often does, they normally do a number of little tweaks, like making an option standard (wireless on ye olde 12" Powerbooks) or adding something that's 'nice' but not earth moving, like the sudden motion sensor, or the backlit keyboard.

    However, the current models are actually stuffed full of goodies, so it's hard to say what Apple will do. Your choice, but all things considered, it is probably a good plan to just get the model currently available now that is most right for you.
     
  17. fastlane1588 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    florida
    #17
    what do you mean by a major boost? do u mean just the new merom 64 bit chips?
     
  18. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

    mr_matalino

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #18
    I'd also look at the Apple Developers Connection. Students can join for $99, get a deeper discount on hardware than the regular student discount, and possibly get a free upgrade to Leopard in spring.

    Why are these questions always asked?? :confused:
     
  19. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

    AppleIntelRock

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #19
    First off, the people who rudely said you should have searched before you posted need to chill out. You’ll find the majority of people here are very nice (yes, I know what your thinking, my account says “newbie” well I’ve been here a while, and recently created a new account for a few reasons, I’ve paid my 25 bucks and one paypal verifies, I’ll have my Demi-God) Anyhow, don’t worry about them. I would however like to make one recommendation. First off if you like the black you should be able to find a refurb for the price of the white macbook (but you are a student and because of your discount it may be difficult to find one) I myself like the white ones, and it seems you’ve picked a very capable machine! Congratulations!
     
  20. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #20
    The thing is people are VERY sick and tired of seeing should I wait or should I buy now?

    consensus says: if you need it now, get it now, if not and you can wait then wait.

    you probably won't notice much difference until "Santa Rosa" comes out.

    Also if you don't need the iPod you can go through any third party and get a macbook for even cheaper.
     
  21. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #21
    i agree......and if i were you, i'd get the ipod :)
     
  22. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #22
    All these threads make me want to hang myself and whether I should have chosen the MB over the MBP!
     
  23. fastlane1588 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    florida
    #23
    Thats a bit harsh! Just ask yourself, without thinking about the other computers out there, are you happy with what you have now? If so then dont worry about what else is out there untill you need a new one.
     
  24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #24
    Yes yes I am! I have to stop reading some of the MR threads on here LOL
     
  25. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #25
    Actually the BEST all around solution is still a 17"iMac AND a 2.0 Ghz MacBook.
    (I'd hold for Merom's or a single dual core Xeon iMac.)

    Macbook 2.0 Refurb $1099.00
    17" iMac core Duo $1199.00(edu)

    You just have to budget for RAM
     

Share This Page