Macbook Buying Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by animenick65, Oct 11, 2006.

1. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Ok...so I have a chance to buy a used 6 month old white macbook with a 60gig hard drive and all that good stuff. Guy has all the documentation and remote and what not. I'm a photographer and will mostly be using it to display pictures to people during meetings and such. The guy is selling it for $700. Is this thing a powerhouse? is this a good deal? Thanks for your help.

-Nick

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

The glossy screen and off-colour LCD is a put off, at least in my experience.

I won't touch it if I were a photographer.

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yeah, if photography is your game, the Macbook is not the name [you want]. I concur with generik, unless you'll just use it for *****s and giggles, and not photography stuff. It's a great price for a Macbook, but not if photography is all you're gonna use it for.

4. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea i'll just be using it for showing pictures, music, and surfing the web. Id have to spend another $2500 on top of the 700 to get anything that would work well for a digital workflow. I'll end up getting a mac pro later on for that. It doesn't have a glossy screen btw.

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

If that's what you are going to be doing, I would've already given him the cash without even hesitating .2 seconds ago. In fact, buy it from him, and sell it to me for $800, and pocket the $100 to get yourself something nice without even doing anything! I'm in the market for one, and I'd buy it!

6. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha....thanks but I think i'm gonna get it :) thanks for all your help and i'm sure i'll have some upcoming questions as this is my first MAC (although I do work on one at work so i'm fairly experienced)

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Sounds good, ask him if he has any other hardware he might want to sell...seriously! Anyways, be careful that it's in good shape as well (ie no mooing, discoloration, etc.) if there is, make sure to get the receipt so you can send it in to Apple to get fixed/replaced...there have been many known/documented issues with the Macbooks :(

8. generik macrumors 601

generik

I am surprised at the price though, another example to blast away the "Macs have good resale value" myth. Well it used to hold... but with the Intel switch not any more!

9. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will apple acknowledge the applecare warranty even though owners have switched? Does it automatically come with a one year warranty? Will apple fix the mooing/discoloration problems with or without the warrenty? What should I look for when trying to see if it has the mooing or discoloration? You guys got me thinking now!

10. Kenya macrumors regular

Kenya

Hey Nick. I think the MacBook would be very appropriate for displaying your photos. I have a MacBook Pro with a glossy screen and it is beautiful. In my opinion the glossy screen's colors are sharper and more clear than the matte screen. I don't think the MB is a "powerhouse" but the better question is "is this machine going to perform the functions and duties I assign to it?" In your case I think the answer is yes.

The AppleCare warranty is tied to the serial number of the product, not to the purchaser. The standard warranty is 1 year for hardware and 90 days for phone support. You can find more info here. I have no idea about mooing/whining but I'm sure you can search the forums for that issue. It may have been resolved with your build week though. Again, do a forum search.

I would make sure the guy has the original box w/serial number and all original docs and CDs. Also, I just did a quick search on eBay and it looks like MacBooks are listing for $500 but are selling for $900 minimum. Why is this guy's MB so cheap (or cost conscious). Also, Apple's Save page has refurbs for 1k. Seems on par w/eBay unless you consider tax.

HTH and GL!

Edited to fix a mistake. Thanks mccldwll

11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I know it's already been said, but hell, who cares what you're using it for.. a Macbook for $700?? Jump on it! Even if you get it and decide you hate the glossy screen, then you can still resell it on eBay for probably $300 profit (more, if it's a 2.0Ghz) to put towards a MBP.

12. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

The MacBook? I thought they all did.

13. mccldwll macrumors 65816