Macbook C2D and 23" HD Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anna, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Anna macrumors regular

May 25, 2003
    Hi All,
    I have just ordered the new macbook with an external 23" screen... and i was so excited... as i thought i could run it in dual display mode with great resolution... just like i can with my 1.67 PB G4... however i just read that you can only mirror it, and the lid has to be closed (i was thinking surely they dont want us to run it in clamshell mode coz the rev 1 macbooks got so hot... someone even toasted an egg on the battery case... see: for those interested)

Does anyone know if i can:
    1) run dual display and not mirror
    2) what the resolution will be (and if its acceptable)
  2. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    The MB can run two displays in extended desktop mode, evene teh 23" HD ACD;)

You can mirror it if you want, or close the lid and have it in clamshell mode;)

Oh, and BTW, it was only a few of the 1st gen MB's that overheatred. Mine has absolutely no problems;)

And that guy who said he "toased" the egg on the battery case is probably lying, he probably cooked the egg first.
  3. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    A quick glance at the specs sheet for the MacBook could've easily alleviated your fears. See here:

4. gloss macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    You can run it as a second monitor with full resolution. Clamshell mode works fine. MacBooks no longer burn your goolies since the firmware update, which is moot because your machine isn't Rev. 1 anyway.
  5. Anna thread starter macrumors regular

May 25, 2003
    Thanks for the quick response...
    you guys are legends!
  6. darh macrumors member

Oct 1, 2005
    On the side note, how about the performance on such big display with gma950 in the macbook? Are expose and dashboard and things like that going to be smooth? Thats the only thing that keeps me from buying the new macbook...

(if i buy one it would have 2gb of ram in it..)