Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mfreriks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Dear forum members,

I know that this problem is discussed in several other threads and also on other fora. However, the WiFi-problems vary in such a way that I cannot completely relate to them.
The problem:

My macbook cannot detect our own WiFi network. It can detect other WiFi networks.
The strange thing is: we have one Windows laptop, 2 Iphones and 1 Ipad which all 'see' and connect to our WiFi network.

Some specifications:
- In a desperate attempt to fix the problem I have erased the HD and did a fresh installation of Lion OS. The same problems still occurs. (please no discussion on whether a fresh install is necessary on Mac's:))
- The laptop has been connecting to the same WiFi for almost a year without any problems.
- Nothing apparent has happened in our home network that I can think of.
- It concerns a macbook from 2008 with a fresh Lion OS installed on it.
- The WiFi network is WPA2 protected.
- The laptop is able to connect to our router by using a normal cable.

I am Dutch, so my apologies in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes.

Edit: sometimes the WiFi is visible but when I try to connect, a time out error occurs.

Michel

Last edited:

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
In System Prefs > Network can you click 'Join Other Network'?

From here you may be able to just type the SSID of the router along with your WPA2 password and join the network.

Worth a try, but also worth hooking up with the ethernet and logging into the router to see if theres any settings on there preventing its visibility.

Mfreriks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
In System Prefs > Network can you click 'Join Other Network'?

From here you may be able to just type the SSID of the router along with your WPA2 password and join the network.

Worth a try, but also worth hooking up with the ethernet and logging into the router to see if theres any settings on there preventing its visibility.

Thanks for your reply. I have followed the instructions but the computer returns: no network found.
Also: the network is visible for all other devices in our house. Nevertheless I have checked the settings of the router and the SSID is not hidden.

wrongsock

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
I am having the same problem myself, only that the home network has never been visible on my macbook since yesterday.

Please help! Almost all threads online on this particular issue are ending inconclusively. :(

Mfreriks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I was able to solve the problem by adding a second router to my network. This router acts as the wifi point. I know this is not really a 'solution' but maybe it helps you as well. It could be that replacing your router or adding a better router (good brand) helps you as well!

Michel

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
This problem happens to me every few months on my Mac Mini... The only solution that I have found to work is changing my WiFi network name in the router settings... When I do that, Mini can see the network and connects to it without any problems... That is, until it happens again... Then I have to repeat the procedure... Can be annoying...

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I was having this problem too: i disconnect from my wifi and when i want to reconnect a "connection timeout" appear to me. I resolve it by deleting from Network/Wifi/advanced the network and change the name and password from router.

agnola77

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2014
Thanks for all the tips! Had the same exact problem, and the suggestion to set up a 2nd router did the trick. We had an old Airport lying around and it worked for the Mac Mini (all the other devices were seeing the 1st Wifi network). Thanks for your help! :)

adityahuria

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
Was Having The Same Problem

I was also having the same problem but when you install all the updates it starts working on its own also if you access the router page from your mac and keep yourself logged in you won't lose connection:apple::rolleyes:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
reset the wifi base station. then reboot the Mac and see if you can log on.

BTW, are these wifi base stations Apple TC, Extreme, or Express?

adityahuria

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
Change The NAME OF YOUR NETWORK

Hey,
I was having the same problem and my network name was NetGear 173273
but after i removed the space from the name my mac started detecting wifi instead of the space you can use ~_ etc... i think that might solve the problem
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::apple::apple::apple:

Sverzut

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2015
Dear forum members,

I know that this problem is discussed in several other threads and also on other fora. However, the WiFi-problems vary in such a way that I cannot completely relate to them.
The problem:

My macbook cannot detect our own WiFi network. It can detect other WiFi networks.
The strange thing is: we have one Windows laptop, 2 Iphones and 1 Ipad which all 'see' and connect to our WiFi network.

Some specifications:
- In a desperate attempt to fix the problem I have erased the HD and did a fresh installation of Lion OS. The same problems still occurs. (please no discussion on whether a fresh install is necessary on Mac's:))
- The laptop has been connecting to the same WiFi for almost a year without any problems.
- Nothing apparent has happened in our home network that I can think of.
- It concerns a macbook from 2008 with a fresh Lion OS installed on it.
- The WiFi network is WPA2 protected.
- The laptop is able to connect to our router by using a normal cable.

I am Dutch, so my apologies in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes.

Edit: sometimes the WiFi is visible but when I try to connect, a time out error occurs.

Michel

Sverzut

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2015
I have the same problem and solve it! The problem is the wifi channel! The olds macs have problem to find wifi network with high channel, I change the channel of 13 to 6 and!!!!!!! The wifi network appear again!!!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.