Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Would my Macbook run fine on the smaller ACD? Memory is maxed out at 2 GB, but processor is Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo as I bought mine right before the announcement. Any potential performance issues?

Your help is appreciated.

EDIT: Typed GHz instead of GB for memory.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
You can run a 30-inch if you want to.

but only at 1920 x 1200

I think RAM is more of a consideration than processor speed. The Macbooks can run up to 1920 x 1200 (or 23"ACD). If you are using the display in clamshell mode you should be fine - if you split the video RAM between the Macbook display and external display, you will still probably be fine.

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Excellent! Thanks for the answer, I was worried the graphics card wouldn't be able to take it. Also that I got the lower end Macbook...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I run a 20" ACD with a 2 Ghz core duo macbook with 2 GB of RAM, so almost exactly the same machine as you, and it runs perfectly. Just don't try to play games at native resolution... ;)

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
but only at 1920 x 1200

I think RAM is more of a consideration than processor speed. The Macbooks can run up to 1920 x 1200 (or 23"ACD). If you are using the display in clamshell mode you should be fine - if you split the video RAM between the Macbook display and external display, you will still probably be fine.

Hmmm... Would I be able to use the built-in Macbook keyboard and have the monitor turned off to run only the ACD? I think I couldn't (or didn't know how to) do that when I connected my Macbook to an older 17" CRT monitor. I could either run it in mirror mode or span across both.

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
I run a 20" ACD with a 2 Ghz core duo macbook with 2 GB of RAM, so almost exactly the same machine as you, and it runs perfectly. Just don't try to play games at native resolution... ;)

LoL nice! No worries I don't plan to play any games on it, though I do want to use iMovie and maybe later on FCE since I read that it runs fine on the Macbook :).

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Hmmm... Would I be able to use the built-in Macbook keyboard and have the monitor turned off to run only the ACD? I think I couldn't (or didn't know how to) do that when I connected my Macbook to an older 17" CRT monitor. I could either run it in mirror mode or span across both.

First, I wouldn't use mirroring, as it will display at the same resolution as the Macbook screen (and would look lousy).

It is a bit of a process, but if you do the following it will work.
1. hook up external display to the Macbook (extended desktop)
2. close the MacBook display (sleep computer).
3. Awaken by using external mouse or keyboard (well... hopefully you have an external mouse).
4. When awake, open the Macbook to use keyboard (display will stay asleep)

Although I highly recommend using an external keyboard & mouse

Hot Orange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
First, I wouldn't use mirroring, as it will display at the same resolution as the Macbook screen (and would look lousy).

It is a bit of a process, but if you do the following it will work.
1. hook up external display to the Macbook (extended desktop)
2. close the MacBook display (sleep computer).
3. Awaken by using external mouse or keyboard (well... hopefully you have an external mouse).
4. When awake, open the Macbook to use keyboard (display will stay asleep)

Although I highly recommend using an external keyboard & mouse

Got it thanks! Now I need to learn one more thing before I go ahead and get me one: whether I would be able to connect my Vaio A600 laptop to the ACD or not! I would need a VGA to DVI cable I guess, but not sure yet whether the ACD will take the signal coming out of the Vaio. I'm trying to find something about it right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.