Macbook CD 2.0 sounds like a jet while playing videos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CraigB, Mar 23, 2007.

1. CraigB macrumors member

Jan 15, 2005
    I've had my Macbook (CD 2.0) for quite a while now, and haven't really gone into looking for a solution, if there is one, for this annoying issue.

Under normal/idle use, the Macbook is quiet as can be. In a silent room, all you can really hear is the hard drive making its tiny clicking noises. In fact, the sound from typing on the keyboard is probably the loudest sound the computer can make under normal use.

However, when I play any sort of videos, the fan starts revving up, and goes full blast like there's no tomorrow. I can understand this if it's some sort of HD video file it's playing, but I'm talking about any sort of video. Even small/low-res embedded videos from various internet sites (including Youtube), makes this computer's fan scream. I have that fan utility installed, and from the readings I get, the fans are basically going full out.

This can't be normal, can it? I've had a couple of laptops before this Apple Macbook, and none of them have ever screamed so loudly while doing relatively low amounts of processing.

The same thing happens if I play something like World of Warcraft on it. But then, that's understandable. The CPU is being tapped out, and is generating tons of heat, and thus, the fans have to compensate and try to cool it back down. But using programs like Realplayer/WMP/VLC/Youtube-like embedded videos? 30 seconds in, my Macbook sounds like a jet.

Anyone have a solution? Thanks for any help provided :)
  2. 2fives macrumors regular

Nov 7, 2006
    Surrey BC
    All I can say is as a fellow MB owner the things run hot when doing anything above surfing/emailing.

If your lke me and using the thing on the bed or laying on the couch with it in the floor I keep a piece of plexiglass just maybe an inch or so longer in the back underneath so the carpet or bed sheets don't block the fan.
  3. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2007
    I have a CD Blackbook and it gets warm when in my lap. However it never, ever screams. Quiet as can be.
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Flash will eat your CPU time. Have you checked Activity Monitor while playing video?