Macbook CD Stuck and SuperDrive Not Appearing in System Profiler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winchest, Dec 19, 2006.

1. winchest macrumors regular

Hello,

Got my newly refurbished MacBook CD a few days ago and have been loading it up with stuff mainly from my external HD. I go to install TurboTax via CD and come upon a problem. The CD never mounted and now will not eject. I tried to reboot numerous times holding the eject key and such but to no avail.

I now check in System Profiler and notice in the "Disc Burning" section that it says I do not have a drive: "No burning device was found. If you are using an external device please make sure that it is connected and powered properly."

Has anyone seen this issue before or have any hints to help me out?

Maybe the superdrive is why this MacBook was refurbished in the first place?

Thanks

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Hold down the mouse button and reboot. :)

3. winchest thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that too :confused:

I find it odd that my SuperDrive does not even appear in the System Profiler.

Thanks for the idea though.

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

5. winchest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for the idea, but to no avail...still no luck with seeing my drive or ejecting the CD.

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

A CD got stuck in my mini so I took it in to an Apple Reseller. They got out the disc out and replaced my optical drive for free. Its covered by AppleCare if the CD is a standard size so take it in.

7. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

8. winchest thread starter macrumors regular

So my MacBook is officially DOA with a bad SuperDrive. I will be shipping it back today and getting a refund. I have to find another Mac to buy now....

I will probably lose my TurboTax CD too because it is stuck in the computer...oh well, I have installed it elsewhere.

Thanks for the assistance in trying to fix it...

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If there's an Apple Authourizeed Service Provider near you, you could take it in just to have the CD removed.

10. vestokes@mac.co macrumors newbie

vestokes@mac.co

MBP Superdrive

He has a defective superdrive. My MBP is only a little more than 2 months old and I am experiencing the same problem. My friend has a MBP also that had the same issue. Her notebook is about 6 months old. The superdrive will have to be replaced. This has been happening for MBP's for about a year now. You'd think Apple would have done something about this.

I paid over $3K for my MBP only to find it had crappy parts installed that Apple already knew about. This has taken the shine off the apple for me.

11. Paix247 macrumors 6502

try verifying disc from the disc utility... that worked for me in the past.