MacBook charger makes strange noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sedi, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sedi macrumors newbie

I don't really know if it's something serious or not but I just started charging my MacBook and instantly the charger started to make weird sounds. It reminds me a bit of the sound you hear when you turn up the volume of speakers to the maximum while they get no signal. You can hear it from approx. 3 feet away.
    Is that common or should I ask Apple about it?

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I've been around both the old school and newer magnetic chargers, and they've never ever made any noise in my experience. You might want to call apple and ask them about it.

3. sedi thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to the phone support and they said I should remove the battery and plug the charger in. Well, the noise is still audible but it's not as loud as before. They told me to go to a certified retailer to get it checked if the noise persists. I'll give it a few days and if I can still hear it I'll go to a retailer.

4. bjr03 macrumors newbie

Mine does the same thing. Did you learn anything new? What do you mean by removing the battery then plugging in?

5. DaLurker macrumors 6502

So did my old Macbook charger and even the charger for my Powerbook. I never experienced any problems with them. Interestingly my MBP doesn't have this problem.

6. finza macrumors newbie

Just happened to me there

Hey, i just got the noise on my black macbook there. I unplugged it nd plugged it back in and its ok now. just did a quick google search.

7. dachshund612 macrumors newbie

Same Here

My MacBookPro 13 inch charger makes a melody or tune in a very high pitched noise when plugged in. It will stop but it is VERY strange and sort of creepy.

8. esaruoho macrumors member

esaruoho

Hi. Just chipping in - was wondering what was going on with my apartment, started to hear this whitenoise-like quiet-ish sound. it would sometimes stop when I did something with the touchpad. Then it would come back. Unplugged my MBP charger and it was fiery hot. Now am letting it cool down, will plug it into a different socket on a different wall, just to see if it keeps heating up or making an audible hiss.

I've never heard this before, and am fairly ready to just buy a new charger, but would of course like for this one to tide me over for a few more years. (Mid-2009 MBP 15")