macbook clicking noise when inserting disc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickdj, Nov 21, 2006.

1. nickdj macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2006
    I just had a macbook replaced because of some physical defects. My new one however seems to have a different prob. When i insert a disc there is the "normal" noise accompanied by a series of loud clicks. I can only compare the clicks to the noise you would hear when you overtighten to the point of stripping or when you turn your gas cap too far. Sounds like something in the disc drive isnt aligned properly or is over tight. Anyone else heard of this?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Bizarre. Take it back because a problem like this may end up getting worse over time (and out of warranty). :(
  3. sjbiars macrumors newbie

Nov 22, 2006
    I hear 3 big thuds when I insert a CD or DVD. I'm chewing out someones ass tomorrow morning. Apple has successfully irritated me for the 2nd time in two weeks.. I just love it how I order the new macbook and get a core duo instead of a core 2 duo... then after sending it back, I get this hunk of crap. I'm just glad I bought the AppleCare policy.
  4. nickdj thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2006
    Let me know what they say. I know my last one didnt make those noises. But some people are saying its normal.
  5. jrea macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2006
    Heh, after returning my first MBP for case defects my new one not only has more case defects, but a dead pixel, and the optical drive problem you've listed. It also makes quite an unhealthy noise when spinning up/down... I can only describe it as a 'rattling'.