Macbook Compatible with Samsung Monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cmp77, Mar 1, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

My screen on my Macbook is going, and I have a samsung monitor sitting around. Are they compatible & what type of adapter would I need to get? The current cords for samsung would not fit in my Macbook. Any help?

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

"What kind of adapter you need" depends on what kind of ports the Samsung monitor has, and what model Macbook you have.

3. simsaladimbamba

Yes, they are compatible. Depending on what MB you have, you either need a MiniDisplayPort to DVI or VGA adapter or a Mini DVI to VGA or DVI adapter.

4. macrumors 6502a

v66jack

You'll need something which fits into the mini display port and then has a VGA or DVI socket on the end of it, so that you can plug the screen into the adapter.

5. simsaladimbamba

Or the OP needs something which fits into the Mini DVI port, though I have seen people confusing it with Firewire, or vice versa. Something will fit nonetheless.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Calibrate Monitor

Thanks for the replies! I have connected the plugs & now how do I calibrate the two? Any links:confused:?

7. simsaladimbamba

What do you mean with "calibrate"? The colour? If so, System Preferences > Displays >> Color >>> Calibrate. You can then calibrate the colour of the internal screen and of the external monitor.
    The external Samsung surely has some buttons on the front to allow you some modifications too, take a look at the manual of that monitor.