MacBook CPU constantly working!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by livingfortoday, Mar 10, 2007.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

My MacBook has started doing this thing where even when nothing is running at all, one core runs at around 80%, and the other at around 20-30%. When I shut one off, the working one shoots up to 100% and sticks there.

It just started doing this today. Nothing has been changed at all since yesterday, I have NO clue why it's doing this. It's killing my battery life! Any ideas?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Have you looked in Activity Monitor to see which process or processes are using all the CPU time?

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Did you check in the activity monitor to see what is sucking it up?

4. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

That's the thing, there is no process eating it up. The highest-use item right now is Safari, and I'm scraping 4% use. Lemme get a screen grab real fast...

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you looking at all processes or just those running under your user ID. The system runs a lot of processes in the background under other IDs. Use the drop down menu in the toolbar to select "All Processes" and see if you can see it...

6. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

See my post above: your only looking at your processes: a fraction of the total activity on a Unix machine...

8. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

AHA! Youre right! "PrintJobMgr" is running at 99%!!

Edit: Ok! Force-quit that sucker, and everything is fine now. Crazy. What is that I had rebooted twice, but neither time had stopped this from happening. Is there a way to disable that process?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So did you say start a print job then disconnect the printer or something? Start the Print Setup Utility and go through the printers you have setup and see if there are any jobs...

10. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Right again, there was a job stopped from this morning. Really crazy, though. Thanks for your help in crackin' this!

11. dvader macrumors regular

12. umdjb macrumors regular

Posts such as this one, and people coming to the aid of fellow Mac users as in this case makes me proud to be a Mac owner and a member of this community