Macbook crashing.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aldo, Aug 12, 2006.

1. aldo macrumors regular

Just got a new 1.83GHz macbook yesterday. Added a 1GB SODIMM.

Unfortunately it does a very strange crash, where the screen itself will freeze but the cursor will move around. Music will continue playing.

If I ssh into the machine and kill windowserver, the machine will continue working fine, until it crashes again, which has happened about 3 times now.

I've done a bit of digging round and it appears to only happen when I don't have my external (DVI) display plugged in. I get these errors in system.log when it crashes:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: kCGErrorCannotComplete : CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window

Any ideas?

2. aldo thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it's the RAM, and I don't really want to take it out since it was such a pain to get in.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Get rid of** ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist (and maybe ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systemuiserver.<gibberish>.plist) and restart immediately. That may help...

** Delete, move or rename.

4. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

wow, can i hear the reasoning behind the removal of those files?
    Just curious at what they do...

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

It's the preference files for the SystemUIServer, the process mentioned in the crash.log.

Preference files go bad from time to time, often causing the application/process using it to refuse to start, hang or generally misbehave. When this happens the preference file(s) needs to be fixed, or for convenience most often just deleted, a new one is being made upon restart (of the system or application in question).

6. iMack007 macrumors member

I'm having almost the same problem, but I'm having constant kernel crashes with my macbook. Its at the Fifth Avenue Apple store right now. It crashes atleast once a day, which is insane, because I also have an iMac that has only crashed once, and that was because I was foolish enough to try to install the notebook version of Tiger on it. :)

I just got a call back from the store, and they said after 37 hours of testing, they coudn't reproduce it. :mad: Those people have to be magical.