Macbook died and now I'd like to backup the HD before sending it in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by voltrader, Jul 25, 2006.

1. voltrader macrumors newbie

My Macbook started hiccuping and spontaneously shutting off for a few days before completely dying a few days ago. I had used it for less than 2 months and neglected to backup the HD.

Now I'd like to backup my Macbook HD before sending it in for repair and am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to do it.

A few questions for you guys:

-- I bought a 2.5" HD enclosure already for which to insert the Macbook HD. It's got a USB 2.0. I assume if I plug this into another Mac, the drive will automatically be detected.

-- Can I buy a Powermac G4 with any version of Mac OS X and be able to back-up my data? Powermac G4s are VERY reasonably priced on eBay.

-- I read that Powermac G4 have only USB 1.0. Does that mean the speed defaults to USB 1.0 rates, or will it not work altogether?

-- I'm resigned to spending a few hundred bucks to do this. Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. ljump12 macrumors 6502

No friends with computers? you could buy another external harddrive and put everything on there... then just restore it when you get the macbook back

3. voltrader thread starter macrumors newbie

No, unfortunately. I'm a PC refugee and left that world. Lots of friends with PCs though. :)

4. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

the hard drives are very easy to swap in the MacBook. why not buy a new hard drive and swap it with the currnet drive in the MB. then put the MB drive in the enclosure you already purchased...

5. voltrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks!

Do you think Apple will care that there's a completely unformatted drive in the bay?

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Just a quick question. Are you sure that the 2.5" case you got is for SATA drives? I've had a heckuva time finding almost any of 'em.

Using a USB 2.0 enclosure on a computer that only has 1.1 will work, but it'll be pretty slow. UNLESS! Unless the enclosure is also USB powered, in which case it will not work. If it draws power from an outlet or something like that, you'll be fine. But it's USB powered as well, you need a 2.0 connection as 1.1 doesn't offer enough juice to run a drive.

7. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

:p
    they might... install osx on the new drive and then send it in for repair...

8. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i have a usb 2.0 2 1/2" ENC that i put the HD of my TI PBook in after the hinges broke (got it at best buy)... it draws power from usb and it works fine with my MacBook/iMac.

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If its completely dead how are you going to install anything on it?

10. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Thats a good question... :eek: i didnt realize he said it was completely dead in the first post... just saw that it was shutting off sometimes and was sending in for repair... :eek:

11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

OK, cool. That won't be able to draw power from an older Powermac with just 1.1, I'm fairly sure, though. Also, were you planning on putting the MacBook HD in that enclosure? Because the TiBook uses PATA drives, and the MacBook uses SATA drives, so it won't work...

12. voltrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Argh - you're right. It's a 2.5" IDE enclosure... which is now for sale. CHEAP!

I have alot to learn about Mac.

Thanks for the recs. I'm going to buy a new 2.5" SATA drive and find somebody to format it with OS X for me.

13. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

You most probably do not even need the backup. Just send it in and say that it's a hardware problem and that they must not do anything to the hard drive. They'll fix whatever hardware component was broken and send your hard drive back intact. Call them and ask if they can do that, and if they do, don't worry about it.

14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I don't think they can do that, JFreak. Last I checked they can't guarantee anything along those lines...

15. voltrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input -- much appreciated.

And yes, lilstewart, there are no guarantees the data will return intact. I also have usernames and passwords remembered in the browser and in spreadsheets, so it's just as well.

I went ahead and purchased an Hitachi 5200-rpm 80GB from newegg.com.

16. z00y0rk macrumors member

z00y0rk

Are you going to sell that via macrumors or something to do with paypal. Im very interested.

17. voltrader thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my attempt at a joke, but thanks for the offer! I'll find some use for it.

18. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I don't see why you can't just get an external drive (or an internal and an enclosure) and just clone your MacBook's HD. Then you can just send the computer in as-is without worrying because you will have a copy of everything at home. If they don't erase it, good deal; if they do, you can just replace it. Either way, you will have a way to make regular backups of your data.

19. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If you have access to another Mac, all you would need is a Firewire cable. Assuming that the MacBook wasn't so dead that it won't boot into Target Disk Mode.

ft

20. voltrader thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no sign of any life unfortunately. The 'genius' at the Genius Bar tried all the tricks but to no avail.

21. moot macrumors regular

How would the OP be able to clone the HD without a computer. AFAIK, just having two external drives wont work without a computer telling them what to do.

Or maybe you didn't realize, but the MacBook is dead and the OP has access to no other computers.

22. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Y'know, I think that it's possible to put in a request to AppleCare with your laptop and tell them not to wipe the hard drive as long as there are no problems with it. They asked me if I minded them wiping my hard drive even when the laptop I brought in had a dead hard drive :confused: :rolleyes:

23. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

You're right. I misread the post and thought the computer was still working intermittently. That being said, you could most likely clone the drive without another Mac. OP says that his friends have computers that could be used, they're just all PCs.

Again, my bad. I should learn to read more slowly :eek:

24. ljump12 macrumors 6502

just use the macs to clone the drive in the macstore.... be real shady