Macbook died during upgrade, now won't start

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kaya21, Mar 24, 2007.

1. kaya21 macrumors newbie

I was doing an update for my macbook & it required me to turn off the computer and then restart it by holding down the power button until a screen came up. Well I did that but then the power ran out (which was my fault) and now when I try to turn the macbook back on it just gives me a black screen even though the the little while light is on. I tried the troubleshooting tips from apple support & I tried rebooting from the install cds but nothing is working. Please help!

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Try the Apple Firmware Restoration CD.

It sounds like you lost power during a firmware update... what are the chances?

Edit: Welcome to MacRumors :)

3. bartelby macrumors Core

So when you did the update your MacBook was running on mains power and not battery wasn't it?

4. kaya21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the welcome and the link Lamina, after about 4-5 hours I finally fixed the problem which now seems painfully obvious.

First I couldn't get the CD out of the drive since nothing would work so after about a few hours of failed tinkering I checked the internet and found how somebody forced out the CD with a battery pack. Well I used my ID to hold down the CD so it couldn't be read, then I turned on the macbook and after about 10-15 seconds the CD was spit out.

Next I had to find a way to burn the restore .dmg file from a PC, which had me searching over the net for about an hour until I tried CloneCD. I just burned an image file, selected the .dmg file and then followed the CD insertion directions from apple and IT WORKED! Never felt so relieved. Thanks again.