Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WabeWalker

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I fired off an email to MacStation, which is a local Authorized Apple repair center (and also a dealership), to find out if I could take in my MacBook for a top cover replacement.

A response came back almost right away (Macstation is a very reputable dealership, by the way - they don't screw their customers, and they really do know their stuff).

Anyway, here's the email:

"Thank you for contacting Mac Station about the problem with your macbook.

Yes the discoloration in macbook top case is common and some people get bothered with it and expect high quality product with the money they spend on Apple product.

Unfortunately, even that's known problem, there is no solution yet from Apple so far because the part number for your top case is still the same with the old one.

I already spoke with Apple in regards of this matter about a month ago for the same problem with different customer and Apple Tech Support for service provider tell me that Apple is still working to resolve the issue and as soon as there is new part number there will be usually email from Apple let us - Service Provider knew.

I can always replace your top case with the one apple has right now, but I could not guarantee that the discoloration problem will not occurs again in the future.

As I told most of our customer usually to wait and check back with us in one or two months see if Apple has new part number or not for macbook top case.

In fact I've read from rumors site that right now Apple is working with Neutrogena(cosmetic company) to resolve the issue."

Well?

It doesn't sound to me as though the problem has actually been resolved.

Or has it?

Is it perhaps the case (no pun intended) that this particular technician simply hasn't been notified by Apple that the case issue has indeed been resolved?

Isn't this the sort of problem that results when a company (such as Apple) refuses to acknowledge that there's a problem. In refusing to tackle the problem head on, you get all sorts of confusion.

Well, it would be nice if Apple were to come clean (no pun intended) about this issue. So far, I've not seen any official statement from Apple with regards to MacBook discolorization.

What we need are some good solid facts - not this internet crap.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
"Yes the discoloration in macbook top case is common and some people get bothered with it and expect high quality product with the money they spend on Apple product."

Somehow, I don't believe a very reputable reseller would send that email to a customer... but, whatever.

WabeWalker

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Well, this is interesting, because I actually went down to the Macstation with my MacBook and talked to this technician in person.

I can assure you that he definitely is authorized by Apple. He he provided me with a transcript from a chat he had with an Apple technician, who said that they know about the problem but that a solution has NOT been found.

So there it is.

The problem, to my knowledge, has not been solved - if anybody here can provide me with definitive proof to the contrary, then, in all honesty, I would love to hear it.

Apple, as far as I can tell, has simply been replacing the same top cover part that was originally used. The problem appears to be a chemical one. Apparently, not all MacBooks are developing this problem. It's an interaction between the user and the plastics.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
WabeWalker said:
...Apple, as far as I can tell, has simply been replacing the same top cover part that was originally used. The problem appears to be a chemical one. Apparently, not all MacBooks are developing this problem. It's an interaction problem between the user and the plastics....

If they're willing to replace it, then why don't you just have it replaced? Since it only seems to be happening with with some of the macbooks, maybe the replacement wont dis-color.....and if it does, get it fixed again

joop1987

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2006
I have had my top case replaced. The replacement material is more "plasticy" than the original. The replacement is also seem to be more of a gray color. My original top case started to discolor after 2 weeks. After using the new top case for a week, no signs of discoloration. The trackpad has also been replaced too.

Here's a picture of my discolored case:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1736/dirtbook6uu.jpg

Here's a picture of the replacement case (a plastic cover comes with the new replacement case):

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7629/newcase2ni.jpg

WabeWalker

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Um, the see-through plastic that's covering the palmrest actually comes with all Apple parts of this kind. You're supposed to remove it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.