Macbook does not detect battery...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by charlyelamo, Oct 1, 2006.

1. charlyelamo macrumors newbie

After draining my battery for routinal calibration, as soon as I connected it back to the power cord, the orange (as for charging) did not show anymore. It went green for a while and then turned off and stays black.

As I booted, no problems ocurred, although once logged in the battery icon shows me as if no battery was found or installed in the computer. A X shows in the middle of the battery icon.

I removed the battery and installed it again, no go.
    Checked apple's support forum, and I am not the only one with this problem, though no real solution appears to be seen. The batteries get replaced and after a week the same problems appear again.

Macrumors calling!!:D Need seriuos help with this, my baby white MB is not portable anymore!!! :eek: And it is 4 months old!!:(

Hope somebody can help, thanks in advance to everybody.

P.D.: if you guys need any more information or specification please feel free to ask:rolleyes:

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Someone else posted a similar problem yesterday, I think.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Have you tried resetting the Power Management Unit (PMU)?

4. charlyelamo thread starter macrumors newbie

No I have not, I will try inmediately

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try another battery, that way you can tell which is the problem, laptop or battery. Don't worry, apple should help you and take about a week to fix it, or maybe they could do something in your local store.

6. charlyelamo thread starter macrumors newbie

PMU no go. Nothing seems to change. I have tried, the lates Powerbook model indications as far for reseting. No good

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Sounds to me like you'll need a new battery, unfortunately. Hopefully that will be enough.

8. charlyelamo thread starter macrumors newbie

This is my first mac, and the experience has been pleasant so far. But no computer has died on me with less then a year. 4 months!! And the battery is dead?? Quite a curious situation for me.

Hope a "simple" battery change will be enough. A Mb replacement wouldn't be bad either, though very unlikely to happen.

9. flyguy451 macrumors regular

Very odd. My Macbook has also developed a similar problem in that it shows an "x" on the battery icon and also does not detect the battery although it will continue to function normally with the AC power cord unplugged. It doesn't detect the battery but the battery is obviously powering the system. I have reset PRAM and the PMU without success. One other thing that is odd is that the screen will dim when I unplug the magsafe, which it should as I have that option selected, so it is detecting the switch from AC to DC but still does not detect the battery.

Attached Files:

10. charlyelamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Called Apple, told me to go visit the nearest reseller.

They analyzed if it was the battery itself or the whole power source. Was just the battery in my case.

They are sendimg me a new one and have kept the old one.

Sucks...

11. flyguy451 macrumors regular

My Macbook battery has, apparently, spontaneously healed itself after I ran it down to the point where it went to sleep. When I plugged it in it shows normal battery indications - for not at least.