MacBook doesnt ask for password to dwnld app...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shawsinio, Jun 13, 2006.

1. shawsinio macrumors regular

Hi all,

lots of q's coming from me at the moment i know, i apologise! up untill now every time i have downloaded an application, it has asked me to enter a password, i quite like this function. however, i have downloaded a couple of apps today when it hasnt asked for my password, can i turn it back on? the app i have just downloaded is skype, and no password was needed...

thanks in advance for any replies,

Dan

2. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

Well... the usual behavior is that you're not asked for your password upon downloading an app, but when you actually install it. And it will only ask for a password if you're installing something for all users or something that somehow modifies the main Library instead of just your own. When you download an app, Safari will give you a warning of what it is but will not ask for a password.

Long story short, not every install will ask you for a password, especially installs that are not screwing with important files.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

I think that's cause you have Safari set to open applications after downloading them. Some apps will ask for passwords to install, and others won't.

OS X only asks you for a password when installing an application where the app/app's support files have to go into a directory that you don't have permissions to copy to by default.

4. shawsinio thread starter macrumors regular