Macbook DVD type?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JurgenWigg, Aug 15, 2006.

1. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

I was looking at blank DVDs today and noticed they come in + and -, which should I get or doesn't it matter?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Basically, it doesn't matter. The MacBook can read and burn both types of media. They are simply two very similar but different types of media...in the insane world of electronics, neither one has gained dominance because the vast majority of drives on the market these days can handle both types.

3. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

It's described on the Apple site as DVD±RW, so I guess – or + should do it...

4. alpaca lover macrumors newbie

Dvd -r

When I burned my first slide-show on to a DVD-R, the pictures are not nearly as clear as just looking at them in iPhoto. So does a different DVD (+R, -RW, +RW) make a difference in the quality? This DVD was given to me by the tech at the Mac authorized store to try and is a Sony DVD-R. I do know the difference between R and RW.

5. Sharangad macrumors member

DVDs have a maximum resolution of 720x480 (NTSC/US & Japan) or 720x576 (PAL rest of the world).

Your photos are probably much larger than that. For instance a 12 MP camera wil have a resolution of 4000x3000 so obviously you'll lose detail when putting yout photos on a DVD.

Even if you authored an AVC-HD disc with 1080p HD video the video resolution would only be 1920x1080, which is waay less than a 12 MP photo.

The type of disc you use doesn't matter as the data is digital.

You could author an AVC-HD disc on a DVD, that would have 1920x1080 resolution.. However that would only playback on certain blu-ray players and there would still be a loss of picture quality.

6. alpaca lover macrumors newbie