MacBook eject-a-cd noise when waking from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dan-o-mac, Nov 7, 2006.

1. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I apologize if this was already discussed, but I tried a search and couldn't find anything about it on google or MacRumors. There is no cd in the drive but my MacBook makes a noise like it's trying to eject a cd after waking from sleep mode. It's kind of annoying, is it normal?

2. gcdrwhom macrumors member

Seems normal to me. Happens with my new MBP and with my 4 year old iBook too (non-slot loading, but I can hear the drive make a noise on wake-up).

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The computer runs a check to make sure that there's nothing in the drive when you wake it up from sleep or turn it on. It's normal, don't worry.

4. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I found it kind of odd because my powerbook or my girlfriends iBook doesn't make that noise. Is it really necessary? If not is there a way to disable it?

Edit: neither did my iMac or Mac mini

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

That is odd- I hear that noise all the time on my ibook. Not quite as loud as if there was a CD in there, but it is a similar sound. I also hear it when the computer gets jarred somewhat.

6. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

7. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

OK i'm a dumb@$$! My powerbook does make the noise. It's just so much lower on my powerbook than it is on my MacBook that I didn't really pay any attention to it. So back to my other question, is it really necessary, and is there a way to disable it. I have a feeling you guys are gonna say yeah, and no. I guess I just have to get used to it. :D

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

How new are the computers? It could very well be a recent addition.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You said it, not me. :D

By the way- I hear those same sounds after waking up each morning!! But those are much better than the noises I make when my five year old had a bad dream and is standing point blank at the edge of my bed at 2AM!!!!:eek:

No really, I have heard that noise for over a year and not really thought anything about it. I would guess it plays some important role or else they woudn't have it do that. I wonder why it is louder on the Macbook- maybe your metal casing on the powerbook makes it quieter than on plastic? My iBook is somewhat noisy but never bothers me much.

solution---> turn up you radio a little more and you won't hear it.

10. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Read the post above yours it's not the computers it's me. :eek:

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Alright. Yes, it is necessary for it run that little check because any number of things can get into a slot-loading drive so it's just a good precaution to let it happen.

12. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Thanks for the tip. It's going to be so much harder to ignore now that i've been analyzing it so much.

13. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Look at it as the sound your MacBook makes to welcome you back. :D A little wake-up stretch and yawn.

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's Apple-ese for "Touch me!"

15. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

That's exactly what I'm going to tell people. Classic!

16. scott523 macrumors 6502a

In addition to the SuperDrive noise on wakeup, does anybody notice strong vibrations on the palm rest (more like the whole computer)? The vibrations only happen when placed on a hard surface (table) but when held in mid-air, all vibrations cease. :confused:

17. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i believe it's check for harddrive or the fan, forgot which one... your hand absorb the vibration once you hold it in mid air

18. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

It happens on my old 667 mhz powerbook too. I find it a welcoming sound. It lets me know when it has waken up from sleep. When I swaped the old drive it use to take up to a minute to wake up (Until i found out that I should set the DIP switch to Master) But when it did it made the sound. Then I could continue working.

19. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Lol I just placed one of my school pocket folders under my MB and the vibrations was almost gone with very minimal vibrations around my trackpad. Looks like it's my hard drive but I got a Seagate 120GB coming soon or I might return this MB (4 days old) anyways because of the update next week (I hope). :D

20. amitai macrumors newbie

amitai

Sorry for the massive bump but I LOATHE the "eject-a-CD noise"! I was hoping there's a way to disable it. What if I disable the entire CD drive, and only enable it when I need it (which is about once a month at most)? How do I disable the hardware?

21. atheros07 macrumors member

ALL laptops with slot-loading drives make that noise, not just Apple. I'm sure there's a good technical reason for the noise (it has to check and suck in any disc that you might have inserted while the computer was sleeping?) You can bet the Apple engineers hate that sound as well and would get rid of it if they could.

22. amitai macrumors newbie

amitai

Thanks for your response, Atheros! So do you know if there's a way to completely disable the optical drive?

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have to physically disconnect the drive. That's the only way to disable it.

24. RealaT macrumors regular

You would need to open up your Macbook and disconnect the power to the optical drive

25. dan5.5 macrumors 6502