macbook emergency! not starting up...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vicki2314, Feb 4, 2007.

1. vicki2314 macrumors member

i also have this posted in the macbook section but i'm now posting it here since this is the "help" section

mkay i have a black macbook that is not wanting to move past the gray screen. first it had a flashing question mark on a file folder icon and now it's making clicking noises from where the disc drive is. tried to reset the PRAM, nothing happened, and it's not booting...

ANY suggestions would be extremely appreciated!!!

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Hold down the power button until the light on the front starts flashing quickly. It will make a loud BOOOOOOOOOOP, so don't be frightened.

Other than that, sounds like a dead hard drive.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Please see my reply from your original thread.

4. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Emergency questions on a web forum?

hmm, I think there are better emergency outlets than a forum.

5. vicki2314 thread starter macrumors member

ok, first- thank you thank you thank you for the replies

second, nothing worked, back to flashing question mark folder

single-user mode didn't work

and you weren't kidding about the booooop!!! haha

any other suggestions??? is apple care 24 hours??? :( sadness

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

When you say single-user mode didn't work do you mean you weren't able to boot into this mode, or that it didn't find any problems with the disks?

Sounds like a call to Apple Care is what you need (24/7, btw.). 1-800-275-2273

7. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Not a dead HD. Happened to my Blackbook too before they replaced my heatsink. Search the forums for all the discussion about the Macbook RSS (random shutdown syndrome) problem. Lamina's fix is correct, hold the power button for 5 seconds, and your laptop will kinda yell at you, but will fire up normally. If this starts happening often (or RSS symptoms) take it to your nearest Apple store, its a known issue and can be fixed.

8. vicki2314 thread starter macrumors member

umm then please stay out of the help section if you don't like to help...

9. vicki2314 thread starter macrumors member

gauchogolfer- couldn't enter single user mode

i have already sent this macbook for repairs twice- first time was for system shutdown and the second was for the battery not being recognized- actually, no battery for that matter

cannot return the macbook because it was bought through the university of texas campus store and they apparently have a no return policy

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

OK, thanks for the clarification.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't return a defective product, no matter their policy. It's not like you've changed your mind.

Assuming you're at UT-Austin, there is an Apple Store in Barton Creek Mall. You can take it there even though it was purchased at UT.

11. vicki2314 thread starter macrumors member

I've taken it there before and they told me they couldn't help and sent me back to the UT store because it was bought through them

12. vicki2314 thread starter macrumors member

called applecare and got a message that i called outside the operating hours and gave me an option to visit the support website...

is there some way to contact an apple agent through the support site?

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, I'd still call AppleCare (assuming you're within your warranty period still) and explain your problem. If they ask you to bring it to a local service center, just ask if they'd prefer you to go to the Apple Store or UT campus. Either way your machine will get serviced. But, I'm pretty sure that if I was in Austin seeing family and had a problem, that I could take my laptop in to the Apple Store, even though I bought my machine in CA. It shouldn't matter.

14. vicki2314 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your help, I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow

meanwhile I'll be re-typing an english paper that was saved on my macbook...

15. flir67 macrumors 6502

I had my user account crash once, now I always have 2 accounts active and only use one for main.if one crashes I can always use the second one.

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-lamina

Ok, learning mode!

What exactly is happening in the machine when one does this?

17. vicki2314 thread starter macrumors member

you were right! my hard drive is dead so now it is being sent back for repairs. they told me that if something else happens to the macbook then they would replace since this will be the 4th time I've had to send it.

thanks all for your help!

18. jessy2k20 macrumors newbie

i have the same problem so what shouldi do see the thing is the macbook is not mine its my uncles so i cant really take it to a service shop and i also dont have any money i tried to hold the power button but that didnt work either what should i do now please HELP!!!!!:(

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Can't your uncle take it to the service shop? It sounds like the HDD is failing.

20. The iKid macrumors member

I have a feeling it's the same for me. Are you losing all the data on your hard drive? PLEASE HELP !!!! If anybody can. I'm qiute nervous.