Macbook Exchange?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by baka chinko, Jun 7, 2006.

1. baka chinko macrumors newbie

baka chinko

I bought a macbook on 5/31. The day after I bought it, I put a DVD in and couldn't eject it until yesterday. I've read alot of problems about the supredrive doing that. It now makes a buzzing sound when I put a disc in, is that normal, I've only put one in and it wouldn't eject, so I don't know what normal sounds like. Also, when I shut down yesterday, the eject sign appeared on the screen briefly, but then the computer took about 10 sec to shut down, after the icons left and there was a blank screen. It's also crazy hot, way too uncomfortable. Applications are working fine though.

Should I take it back and have an exchange? Will they?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It's within warranty - they should fix it. But to you credit, Superdrives naturally sound like two trains colliding :p

3. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

Two trains colliding huh? Well, that sucks. I don't want anything repaired, I was just thinking that since I had that disc problem and the heat issue, maybe I got one of those "bad ones." Would that be too difficult a reason for an exchange? Anyone on here work at an Aplle store?

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

exchanges usually only happen after the 3rd or 4th repair.

5. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

6. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

sorry. what would a repair do? would I just get a new superdrive.

7. FragTek macrumors 6502

If they did they probably wouldn't come out and tell you since it's a breach of employment contract to be a member of any non Apple-run discussion/news sites.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

more than likely it'll be a refurbished superdrive.

9. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

:eek:
    Ok.ok. Don't tell me if you work for Apple!

10. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

Refurbished! Those bastards!

11. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

Should I even bother taking it in? The disc came out and I put a bunch in since. But I can see this happening down the road. If I got the Apple care, would this be a problem that I would have to pay for in 2 years, or would Apple Care take care of it?

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

LIES!

I work for an Apple Authorized Reseller/Service Center and we have serviced several MacBooks with SuperDrive problems.

Your best bet is to take it to the nearest Apple Store, or Apple Authorized Repair center to have the drive replaced.

For new computers such as the MacBook when a drive like the SuperDrive fails Apple will send the repair shop a new drive to replace your old dirve with.

Only for older computers does Apple send refurbished parts, but they are factory refurbished by Apple and have a parts garuntee.

13. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Does the disk play in other players? I had a Netflix DVD get stuck in my PB. It took a couple of hours for me to figure out how to get it out, there was a huge crack in it but it wasn't visible from the top. I always look at the bottom side before I put it in.

Anyway, it could have been an unreadable disk, try a bunch of different DVDs and if none of the others get stuck, you're probably fine.

15. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

I talked toa guy at the Apple store. He said I 2 options: 1. I can have a genius look at it and detrmine if they can replace the notebook. or 2. I can pay the 10% restocking fee, and exchange it for the 1.87 model, which I wanted to do, but not for a 10% charge.

16. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Go rip and they will waive the fee.

17. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

Yeah. You think so? Has anyone had success with something like that? I was thinking that too. I assume they want my repeat business, but a large company like Apple usually doesn't give a ***** if they lose a customer.

18. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

OK. I decided that I'm going to beat the ***** out it tonight. I mean that I'm going to run a bunch of cd's, dvd's, apps, keep it on. See what happens. I guess I should keep it if it doesn't hold any cd's or anything. I don't have a noisy macbook and I'm a little nervous about getting a whiney or mooing one.