MacBook - Experiences updating hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ekim., Sep 14, 2006.

1. ekim. macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Long time lurker; first time poster. I'm planning on buying a MacBook in the near future and I was hoping to get some experiences and opinions on using a non-apple provided hard drive spinning at 7200 rpm.

I realize that in addition to performance gains, I should be expecting more heat to be generated (safe assumption?). Does anyone have any information regarding decrease in battery life, excessive heat, etc related to a faster HD in a MacBook?

Although I want a better performing machine, I don't want to sacrifice TOO much for it. ;)

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Earl

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

the 7200RPM drives are parallel in terms of what you get. In other words, its the same heat, power consumption and battery life. The differenc is VERY minimal and un-observable in most cases

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Well you can start by buying a macbook with the Apple-provided HD and see if you like the speed. Due to the embarrasingly easy accessible HD, you can always buy a 7200rpm for it later on. I doubt you will even notice it though.

4. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

For a start, battery life will be impaired a little by using a 7200 RPM drive - but again, it won't be drastic, and should be worth the performance gains.

The difference between the shipping drive and a 7200RPM is quite a lot - not "minimal" as somebody here suggested. I use mine for audio and it struggles with the stock drive, but for me it's no problem as I have a powermac as my main unit.

What are you planning on using the Macbook for? If it's video editing, Audio processing etc you'll be needing that faster drive.