MacBook extra sensitive cd drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Daysleeper1982, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Daysleeper1982 macrumors newbie

Daysleeper1982

Hi. I have been searching for this topic, but I did not find it anywhere. Please let me know if it is a known issue.

My problem: when I import cd's on my Macbook, in Itunes, often Itunes quits with a certain song while importing. Most of my cd's work fine, but when there is a minor scratch or so on it, it has problems with importing. On the iMac G5 I import the same cd and there are no problems.

Is the cd drive from MacBook very sensitive? How come it does not import cd's when there are 'normal' minor scratches on it? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any reactions and help.

2. Daysleeper1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

Daysleeper1982

3. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I haven't had any problems with itunes. I put in a cd to install a printer and I think it was off balance because it made really loud spinning noises! When it was spinning itunes ran VERY slow, but so did everything else, that might of been because it was installing software. I haven't tried putting many songs from a cd into itunes yet, I transfered all my music.

Maybe if your cds are really scratch you can get a cd doctor to try to fix them. Other than that, maybe there is a way (or program) to slow the spinning speed, maybe that would help... maybe... I doubt it, but maybe...

The Stig

4. aaronfzr macrumors regular

I have the same problem on my new MBP - it can be very pernickety about reading CD's. Oddly enough, it can read some very scratched CD's but not other, almost perfect, discs. I've found that giving it a clean with a microfibre cloth can help, but not always - I've had to use an external (and far less sensitive) drive to read them.

I think its just a feature (problem?) of the drive. Its not the worst thing in the world though - it does read most discs fine, but is kinda fussy cf. other drives.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I have a few CDs (not scratched at all) that my PowerBook and newer iBook refuse to import at all...they just spit them back out. My tray-loading, five-year-old iBook handles them just fine. I do find the slot-loading drives to be somewhat picky about CDs, but that doesn't quite address why your iMac handles your problem CDs fine.

6. AvMac macrumors member

AvMac

No doubt the slot-drives are fussy. I tried burning a dual layer DVD on my MBP and it ejected out the DVD or sometimes it never recognized the DVD in the drive.

I tried a couple of times but same results. All this while, the MBP was running on batteries at around 90% power.

I then plugged in the power supply and tried again and it worked! I guess battery power alone is not enough to do disk burning tasks and that too when burning a dual layer disk.

7. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

same problem

I have the same problem with my Macbook, but there are absolutely no scratches on the CD. It makes it to a certain song then stopps at the same place every time...

8. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Mac install cds

I put in the Mac cds that came with my MB and installed some program from it and it asked for the second cd and I put it in and then it said it was going to take 41 mins to finish. Which is ok, but it didn't move and it didn't sound like the cd was really spinning that well either. It was spinning but kinda sounded odd. I had to force quit it when it wouldn't eject the cd. So I had to reboot and it wouldn't turn off. THEN I have to unplug it and pull the battery! I turned it back on and it ejected the cd fine thing.

I'm not sure I like this dvd-rom it has in it. It doesn't always seem to work very cool. If you read above I have a loud vibration problem too! I'm kinda worried that when I need it, it won't work, or will be so loud that I wouldn't want to use it.

The Stig.

How long was the vibration sound? So loud it would of made it VERY hard to hear music if I was playing it.

9. Digidesign macrumors 6502

you guys are not alone. My C2D mac book also has a finicky drive.

While importing a tune into iTunes..... gets to the end (progress bar full) and then iTunes crashes. Doesn't happen on all CDs, just a few here and there, sometimes regardless of scratches or no scratches. Also, watching rented DVDs on the mac book, I have to clean the DVDs before putting them in, otherwise problems usually ensue.

I rarely use my drive for the mac book, but I can see how this would be a problem for others that do use it more often :mad:

10. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

not for sure but would enabling error correction in itunes help?
    sounds like a picky drive but this may or may not help the itunes part

11. Daysleeper1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

Daysleeper1982

Thanks for the reactions guys (and girls).

Aaronfzr, i understand what you mean. I have the same thing! Some really scratchy cd's that I have used for ages (like Out Of Time from REM) are imported without problems. While some fairly new cd's like Hotel from Moby have problems. Itunes crashes every time at the same point, in the same song.
    I have used an Imac to import the cd's that were rejected by my Macbook, and it worked perfectly. Of course this is not life threathening or so, but I was just wondering what was wrong. Collegues told me now they have the same problem.

For people who think I use my cd's as frisbees: No way. Every cd I have is treated carefully (only touching at the edges or center, and I always have them in the cdbox).
    So, it is just silly. But I am happy I am not the only one experiencing this.

12. kerisimasi macrumors member

I am SO tired of force quiting iTunes!

You guys should feel lucky being able to import some cds at all - I have been able to do only one since the purchase. Yeah, ONE!! Even brand new cds won't import. I have to iport to my desktop and then transfer over using my shuffle as a flash/jump drive. Should I take it to an Apple store? Will they replace the drive if I show them how bad it is? thanks

13. thebill macrumors member

My Feb. 15" MBP had trouble with a brand new music cd, got to the same point on the song, stuck, & force-quit needed for iTunes.

14. kerisimasi macrumors member

have u talked to apple?? or are u just dealing with it? I keep finding more problems to "deal" with....may give in and take it in to apple soon.

15. artaran macrumors newbie

Same problem on new macbook

I have the same problem. My computer freezes when trying to import cds. They import perfectly on my 7 year old vaio.

I've talked to Apple. I've run a utility, reinstalled os x, reinstalled itunes, done safe start ups and changed users--nothing.

Apple tech engineers are assessing the problem and will get back to me in a couple of days.

I'll keep you posted on results. In the meantime, if anyone of you find a solution please let me know.

16. neilk2350 macrumors member

omg

i've been having the same problem with my mbp2cd and have been searching for a solution. i tried an external drive. reinstall itunes and quicktime. zap pram safe boot, thrown out preferences. there seems to be no pattern to the crashes but it happens a lot. i'm trying to redigitize my cd collection at a very high bit rate and about 1 in ten crashes my computer. any links toughts updates would be really heloful

17. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

same problem with mine. i have heard the combo drives work better, but NO! i had to buy the superdrive model with dual layer dvd technology.

i put a lot of stuff into my old emac first so i can get it to my mb.

but since i rarely use the drive anyway, i'm quite happy with my mb.

18. debartolo62 macrumors newbie

cd drive is finicky

mine is also finicky. i rarely even use the drive. I put a brand new cd in today and it just revved up and down a few times, then spit it out. i tried another cd and it finally registered it. then another and it showed up just fine....back to the first new cd and still wouldn't read it. then i tried a DVD and it worked fine. what the heck?:mad::confused:

19. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

my drive will not read any CD/DVD unless it's brand new. Gigantic pain.