Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollie N

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
I have a macbook early 2008 and the fans are so loud i use a room cooling fan to get it to shut up. After about 20 minuets of web surfing, EMail, etc. My temps are 150 F and 6200 RPM on the fans. Here is my activity monitor screen shot
Please Help
Screen_shot_2011-02-06_at_11.01.11_AM.png

daleycss

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2010
uninstall flash. see how much it helps. it might, or it might not. you never know.

Nov 28, 2010
located
uninstall flash. see how much it helps. it might, or it might not. you never know.

One could also just use a Flash blocker like ClickToFlash (Safari) or FlashBlock (Chrome) before uninstalling Flash. It works for me and ClickToFlash even allows me to watch many videos in its native .mp4 format.

Ollie N

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Even "normal browsing" can still have Flash or video (ads, for example).
WEll I'll try flash block and get back to you

WEll I'll try flash block and get back to you

Ok so I installed flashblock
SHut down
Held a cooling an over my mac for about 5 min and then turned it back on and it was bout 90 F then I open chrome and go to lifehacker ALMOST INSTANTLY the fans start coming on

Last edited by a moderator:

Morley7

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
So is it only browsing that causes it? What if you do something like watch a movie in VLC or photo editing? What about just sitting at the desktop with nothing running? That doesn't seem like the right temp for the fan to kick in that hard. Mine will only go to about 4000 rpm at about 75-80 Celcius.

Ollie N

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
So is it only browsing that causes it? What if you do something like watch a movie in VLC or photo editing? What about just sitting at the desktop with nothing running? That doesn't seem like the right temp for the fan to kick in that hard. Mine will only go to about 4000 rpm at about 75-80 Celcius.

Well that kicks it in faster I don't know about anything else because browsing is usually the first thing I do on my Mac

Could login apps be causing this possibly?

EDIT:doing nothing does nothing as in the fans don't go

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.