Macbook Fan

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by falcon1, Nov 11, 2006.

1. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

Does the white macbook get hot if it sits on the desk for a while and even shuts off if it gets so hot?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't find they run particularly hot but if you're doing intensive work and the machine's not well ventilated then it might fall asleep. This is the default behaviour of all overheating Macs and it ensures (hopefully) that they won't wreck any of their internals. Is yours randomly shutting down? Do you have the latest firmware update installed?

3. falcon1 thread starter macrumors regular

falcon1

No I don't have a mac right now. I have a Macbook Pro at school that stays there but I only use that maybe an hour half per class. I looking to get a white macbook next spring after leopard comes out for college and I just wanted to know about the fan cause I plan on maybe getting an iCurve and making a desktop/laptop set up.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Overheating's not really much of an issue, so you should be fine, especially with an iCurve. :)

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

6. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Apple recommends placing notebooks on a hard flat surface for best ventilation. If you are doing this and the MB/MBP gets so hot that it shuts off or goes to sleep, there is probably something wrong with the computer, you would have it serviced under its warranty.

I don't think this is a problem. And with an iCurve this will be even less of a problem.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

my old one never got so hot that it shut off.. but boy would those fans go if it was in clamshell mode.. almost always had to prop it open.. the fans were obnoxious.

8. falcon1 thread starter macrumors regular

falcon1

Yeah I hate the sound of fans on any computer.

9. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

My C2D MBP runs a lot cooler than my CD MB did. The fans come on a lot less, too (obviously). The new vents help with that, I'm sure.