Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jockwalker69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I have owned a macbook for about a month now and something unusual happened last night while using it with i-chat. After about 1 minute, the computer shut off. I turned it back on and started i-chatting again. Same thing happened again. I was told by someone it is a common problem the new macbooks have been having. Something called Faulty Heat Sync. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was the solution? Thanks!

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
jockwalker69 said:
I have owned a macbook for about a month now and something unusual happened last night while using it with i-chat. After about 1 minute, the computer shut off. I turned it back on and started i-chatting again. Same thing happened again. I was told by someone it is a common problem the new macbooks have been having. Something called Faulty Heat Sync. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was the solution? Thanks!

Call Apple.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Fautly heatsink. As in ... the heatsink (a physical object, not a synchronous event having to do with heat) is faulty, as in defective.

It has a faulty heatsink, it is not transfering heat well, and it is overheating.

jockwalker69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
I called support yesterday and they are picking the computer up today to be repaired. They said this has been a problem in the macbooks and is probably the heat sync. Very disappointing for this to happen after just one month.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
jockwalker69 said:
I called support yesterday and they are picking the computer up today to be repaired. They said this has been a problem in the macbooks and is probably the heat sync. Very disappointing for this to happen after just one month.

Any repairs at all are disappointing, but hopefully the problem will get fixed quickly.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
jockwalker69 said:
just so if you still haven't gotten the terminology cleared up, it is NOT heat sync, it is heatsink
there is no syncronization in thermodynamic, it just doesn't make sense.

mquaack

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
jockwalker69 said:

What week is your Macbook?

mquaack

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
Your serial number should tell you what week it was made.

Like WPxx - xx is the week made.

jockwalker69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Just got my macbook back and Apple installed a new heatsink and a few other items. Everything seems ok now. I sent it out on Tuesday and it was back 3 days later. Very fast!! However, there were many scratches on the bottom of the computer. I take a lot of pride in keeping it nice and I am disappointed that this happened. Other than that, I am happy. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, was there any help? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.