MacBook for PowerBook + Cash

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BioChron, Aug 15, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

BioChron

Greetings! I am probably going to go through with trading my 1.83 Core Duo MacBook for a 1.5 17" PowerBook G4 + $370-400. I am just interested in the opinion of the community as to whether or not you all think this is a good deal? I need the graphics power, as is why I would like to make the trade.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

If you really need the graphics power, I'd sell the MacBook (here, eBay, Craigslist, etc.) and use the money toward a refurb MacBook Pro. You can usually find a 15.4" MBP on Apple's site starting at $1499.

A PowerBook at this point is a waste IMO.

3. macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'd do it. Specially since you could sell the powerbook and take the extra cash to buy yourself a newer macbook or imac.

4. macrumors 6502

So you are trading a one year old machine + cash for a 3 year old one? I hope it is at least the version with the 128mb graphics card.
    IMO a waste of money. Probably the only thing the powerbook has going for it is its ability to drive a 30" display (if it is the version with the 128mb radeon). In all other aspects, the macbook probably outperforms the powerbook.
    As suggested by sw1tcher, you'd be much better off going for a used or refurb mbp. You can probably find a CD MBP on ebay for about the same price as the powerbook you are aiming at.