Macbook for recording?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Ibanez Strummer, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Ibanez Strummer macrumors member

Mar 5, 2007
    Hey everyone.

I'm looking to make the switch to the mac especially for recording purposes as i'm a avid guitar player and music fan...however i'm undecided between the iMac 2 Ghz ! gb ram or the macbook with same processor and ram? The thing is, will this macbook be up to running multiple tracks on garageband and later logic express also with a midi controller and audio interface? I like the idea of the portability when i need it such as for college, but unsure about performance differences?

Does anyone here use normal macbooks for proper amateur recordings, both software and real instruments. All comments welcomed!
  2. chasemac macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2005
    In a house.
    The performance should be fine with either of the two machines. But I would recommend 2 GB of RAM. I still use the G5 but a friend has the iMac 20" with 2 GB and it is a very nice and fast machine. If it was me, I would go with the iMac 20" but if portability is a key factor then the Macbook would be fine as well. FYI, I've used the ibook with GB & the Traveler and it recorded just fine at 4 tracks. Remember, RAM.

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I just got a Macbook with 2 Gigs of RAM

and I'll be recording my band for sure...

Multi Track and all, and it will be great

go with the Macbook
  4. Ibanez Strummer thread starter macrumors member

Mar 5, 2007
    Thanks for the replies so far......drifting more towards macbook at moment, but will definitely now consider upgrading ram to 2gb!
  5. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    if it helps....

a few years ago, i did a stress test on my g3 ibook: 800 MHz, 640 meg RAM. in the end, i was able to simultaneously record eight 96/24 tracks while playing back 16.

i reckon today's macbook can handle a bit more. note that one of the keys to the ibook doing so well, imo, was that i was recording to an external firewire drive, 7200 rpm, with an 8 meg cache.