Macbook freezes up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joooollie, Sep 29, 2006.

1. joooollie macrumors member

Sep 29, 2006
    My mb often gets the little rainbow beachball symbol and it will not go away no matter how long you wait. I often have to press and hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on again. I know this is pretty bad for the computer but there is no other alternative. It usually does this when im saving a document on microsoft word mac students version, when i am trying to sign on ichat, or when i am just surfing the internet. I am not running any huge programs, and the only saved files i really have are mp3s and word documents. Its really annoying and i know that it is harmful to the mac. Any tips? I am the same person whose laptop and remote messed eachother up, so i may be able to get a new one anyway, but i dont think its likely.
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Whats the specs on the system...ram, HDD etc..You should run disk utility and check out your HD.

Also, how much free space do you have on your HD.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Also, if you have .Mac then don't keep your iDisk connected because it can mess with your system when you have a save dialogue box up. :(

Maybe check out Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder too. Just check if there's anything using up more resources than it should be. :)