Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirohama

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
My Specs: The Higher up Macbook (white) version, with 100 GIG, and 1 GB of ram.

Games I've played:

On Mac:
Jedi Academy (Kinda sluggy with Rosettta)
Warcrfat 3 (Same deal, Rosetta)
Diablo II (Playable, Rosetta)
Starcraft (Playable, Rosetta)

On PC (So far)
Matrix Online (NO LAG, Amazing)
Warcraft 3 (No Lag)
In fact, I was playing both of them at the same time, with no lag.
Suprisingly enough the 64MB Intel Integrated Video Card is good, it supports Direct x9.

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
Shirohama said:
My Specs: The Higher up Macbook (white) version, with 100 GIG, and 1 GB of ram.

Games I've played:

On Mac:
Jedi Academy (Kinda sluggy with Rosettta)
Warcrfat 3 (Same deal, Rosetta)
Diablo II (Playable, Rosetta)
Starcraft (Playable, Rosetta)

On PC (So far)
Matrix Online (NO LAG, Amazing)
Warcraft 3 (No Lag)
In fact, I was playing both of them at the same time, with no lag.
Suprisingly enough the 64MB Intel Integrated Video Card is good, it supports Direct x9.

Nice,

Here is what i've tested on my new MacBook 1.83 ghz 1 Gb ram 60 Gb Hard Disk:

Call of duty 2 (Native MacOsx Demo Universal)
-> Runs Very well, even on high settings and high windows mode. Extra high is not a question :) But i think High settings will do for most people!

Quake 4 (Native MacOsx Demo Universal)
-> Runs like ****, even in lowest settings lowest window mode, it's just not good... i think id software uses a abnormally high graphic program. Even on low settings it looked like half life 2 on high :eek: So, don't download that 5xx Mb for the demo that doesn't work if you own a MacBook or a Mac Mini

Legion Arena (Native MacOsx Demo Universal)
-> Runs lovely, High Settings, High Window, Runs very nice and is a very nice game :) i'll be buying this i think :)

Tremelous (Native MacOsx Universal Full Game, since it's free)
-> Runs at 90 fps On High settings, is a free game and looks like doom3...
The basic idea is that you have 2 sides, The alien side and the human site.
(Same as ET with Axis and Allies) And you have to kill each other :) Being a human though is very hard :) I recommend this game for people who want to play a very nice free game online!

Minions of Mirth (Native MacOsx ROSETTA Full game)
-> Does not run very nice, it lags ! it's almost inplayable on ROSETTA. For those interested, they have announced the universal binary for the game, so expect to see it some day :) If that comes out, you can be certain to have a nice playable game!

Enemy Territory (Native MacOsx ROSETTA Full game)
-> Runs like crap, you can walk nice around but when it comes to action, it's totally not playable! At least on the belgian servers :) which has lag sometimes though so i will test this again on any server people give me it this topic, that they know don't have lag all the time.

That's it people, be sure to check out my next review about MacBook Gaming!

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
WoW framerates

lmalave said:
I'm not sure how to count framerates, but WoW runs completely smoothly with all of the default game settings, including being fullscreen at 1280x800.

Update: so apparently I just had to hit CTRL-R in the game to toggle framerate display. So basically here are the WoW framerates I'm getting with the default video settings:

Outdoors: 15 fps
Indoors (e.g. caves, Ironforge): 30 fps
Lowest framerate: 10 fps (dungeon with group)
Highest framerate: 40 fps (featureless indoor areas like hallways)

So overall WoW has performed quite well. I played an Orc Warlock to level 37, then switched to a Gnome Rogue and have it up to level 25.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
MacBook: 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM. stock 60 GB HDD (white:D ).

Mac OS X:
Halo PPC Demo - really s*cked. Around 10fps at normal settings.

Windows XP Home:
Halo
640x480 at lowest settings: max. 60 fps. average 35 fps.
1280x800 at lowest settings: max. 25 fps. average 20 fps.
1280x800 at highest settings: haven't tested.

Well, it looks pretty impressive. I'll try out Roller Coaster Tycoon soon. (not 2 or 3, the original and best:cool: ).

KiDo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
its funny to see that the macbook actually runs games pretty well, i have a black one myself, played wow on windows, everything on high, like a train, 2gb ram, 2ghz

Phluxy

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
results arn't clear to me

from most of what i've heard from here (and seen on youtube) the macbook is fairly decent for gaming. But i hear these stories about games not opening and crashing and knowing my luck it makes me nervous to buy a macbook. I just want games on the go without shelling out the big bucks.

rs1985

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
please help me
I am playing NHL 2007 on my 2.16 MacBook Pro
and is lagging like hell
anyone ?
I install the Mac Drivers that i burn on to the disx
and is still lagging like hell
please
the sound is fine
but the video is killing me
so laggy

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I can guarantee you that Quake 4 will always run like **** on Intel integrated graphics.

It flys though when you have a nice, powerful ATi or Nvidia card, like my 9800XT at 1280x1024 @ High gets 45-70 FPS.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
ReanimationLP said:
I can guarantee you that Quake 4 will always run like **** on Intel integrated graphics.

It flys though when you have a nice, powerful ATi or Nvidia card, like my 9800XT at 1280x1024 @ High gets 45-70 FPS.

Well duh. I can guarantee that you'll get wet when it rains and the sun is hot.

Hopefully 10.5 Leopard will bring some nice Bootcamp goodies (driver-wise)

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney

-> Runs Very well, even on high settings and high windows mode. Extra high is not a question :) But i think High settings will do for most people!

-> Runs like ****, even in lowest settings lowest window mode, it's just not good... i think id software uses a abnormally high graphic program. Even on low settings it looked like half life 2 on high :eek: So, don't download that 5xx Mb for the demo that doesn't work if you own a MacBook or a Mac Mini

-> Runs lovely, High Settings, High Window, Runs very nice and is a very nice game :) i'll be buying this i think :)

(Same as ET with Axis and Allies) And you have to kill each other :) Being a human though is very hard :) I recommend this game for people who want to play a very nice free game online!

-> Does not run very nice, it lags ! it's almost inplayable on ROSETTA. For those interested, they have announced the universal binary for the game, so expect to see it some day :) If that comes out, you can be certain to have a nice playable game!

-> Runs like crap, you can walk nice around but when it comes to action, it's totally not playable! At least on the belgian servers :) which has lag sometimes though so i will test this again on any server people give me it this topic, that they know don't have lag all the time.

Update to the gaming review:

Minions of Mirth (Native MacOsx Universal Full game)
-> Runs like heaven.. Everybody should try this game if they want to see what MacBook is capable of in OsX.. Anyway, i don't know the fps but it runs as a flying bird. U can change it to window mode if you want to for extra performance. Playing on high for those who like to know. (I play it in an unsupported 800*600 window mode for yet extra performance. Contact me if you want to know how to play in 800*600)

Let me know if you have a demo that needs to be tested. I'll be here for you!

Leej

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
lewion said:

<snip>
-> Runs like heaven.. Everybody should try this game if they want to see what MacBook is capable of in OsX.. Anyway, i don't know the fps but it runs as a flying bird. U can change it to window mode if you want to for extra performance. Playing on high for those who like to know. (I play it in an unsupported 800*600 window mode for yet extra performance. Contact me if you want to know how to play in 800*600)

Good to see that you are enjoying MoM! Fwiw, the UB of MoM will run great on a Mini or on a MacBook provided you have a gig of ram. Under a gig and some settings will probably have to be dropped.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I found a website with the games that work on a Macbook
Here's the list
Age of Empires III (1440x900)
America's Army 2.6 (1440x900) (1680x1050)
Battlefield 2 (small artifacting)
Battlefield 2: Euro Force (small artifacting)
Birth of America (1440x900)
Call of Duty 2 (1440x900) (1680x1050)
City of Heroes
City of Villains
Civilization IV (1440x900)
Combat Flight Simulator 3
Counter-Strike: Source (1440x900)
Day of Defeat: Source (1440x900)
Doom 3 (Enter this into the console: r_mode -1 r_customwidth 1680 r_customheight 1050 vid_restart. This will enable 1680x1050 resolution. Replace with 1440 and 900 to enable 1440x900 resolution)
Everquest (1440x900)
Everquest 2 (1440x900)
F.E.A.R. (1440x900)
Far Cry (1440x900)
Final Fantasy XI
Flight Simulator 2000
Flight Sim 2004 - Century of Flight
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (1440x900)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Guild Wars
Half-Life 2 (1440x900)
Hitman: Blood Money
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 3)
Motocross Madness 2
Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV) (1440x900)
Operation Flashpoint
Prey Demo
Quake 3
Quake 4 (1440x900 and 1680x1050)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Star Wars Battlefront II
Star Wars Empire at War (1440x900)
The Movies
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006
Tomb Raider Legend Demo
Ultima Online
UT2004
World of Warcraft (1440x900)

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
lewion said:

Update to the gaming review:

Update:

Minions of Mirth (Native Windows Bootcamp)
-> Runs even better then the universal native osx game. You can put everything on high, highest window mode and still play at very good fps. Definitly something bootcamp-users must try out!

Age of Empires III (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Runs great, as long as you put shader detail low (because otherwise there are some graphic issues), you can put everything else on high. it's recommend to put everything on medium and have water reflections off in a world with much water stuff. Also i recommend to not set bloom, as i see no difference and it gives more performance. Great game, definitly try it out

Age of Empires III - The WarChiefs (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Same as Above, Runs great as long as you keep my recommend settings.

Enemy Territory (Native Windows Bootcamp Full)
-> Runs lovely, everything high! Highest window mode,... It's a great game. But i do wonder where the arena 51 servers are... can't seem to find them :) Skynet servers rule though Happy gaming!!!

F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Runs Good - Great, it autodetects high, but i recommend to set it medium.
Keep the window mode at 800*600 and you will be Great! Very nice demo.

Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos (Native OsX Rosetta! Full)
-> Runs very good, although you play it under the rosetta engine, it really gives it worth a play. It runs great at high settings! So if you're a little short on hard disk space, and you would really like this game without having to go under bootcamp, install it under osx and you'll see how great the rosetta engine handles this one.

Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos (Native Windows Bootcamp Demo)
-> Still downloading... I'll post my results when it's done

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
Just a real quick question that I have not seen addressed widely, but how are games (in general) on the MB. I realize its 13" and thats not very big. My friend said that 15" is the minimum in playing games effectively on a laptop. Any comments? TIA

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
Mac'Mo said:
Just a real quick question that I have not seen addressed widely, but how are games (in general) on the MB. I realize its 13" and thats not very big. My friend said that 15" is the minimum in playing games effectively on a laptop. Any comments? TIA

Your brother is lame...

Figure out what i mean.. and look at my upper post...

Make your decision...

aholden12592

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
i got the best black macbook in the store - 2 ghz, 1 GB 667 mhz DDR2 SDRAM

I want to play battlefield 2 and counterstrike - what's it gonna be like????

I guess you can only get 2GB of RAM online

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
aholden12592 said:

I guess you can only get 2GB of RAM online

Who told you that? You can go down to the local CompUSA and buy two gigabytes easily.

aholden12592

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
ya i checked that thing - looks easy but i do have both slots filled with a 512 mb in each

aholden12592 said:

I do still want to know about this

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
aholden12592 said:
ya i checked that thing - looks easy but i do have both slots filled with a 512 mb in each

It's recommended you use dual-channel memory, yes, to get the most out of the 950. So, 2x256, 2x512, 2x1000, whatever works. You don't have to have it, though, if you don't want to. It's just recommended. Sorta like your mom telling you to eat your veggies. ;)

aholden12592 said:
I do still want to know about this

Battlefield 2 and Counterstrike? I'm sorry to say that if you bought a MacBook to play those games you shouldn't have. The MacBook is fine for light gaming and some more moderate loads, but for games like Battlefield, it's not. You would've been better off buying a MacBook Pro or an iMac to play those games. The original Counter Strike would probably run okay – I've been meaning to grab the collection of CS games at Wal-mart, so if you don't mind waiting a few days I can try those for you.

aholden12592

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
well first off i didn't get it for gaming. and second another post said that they run fine i just want to make sure that it applies to my model of macbook too

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
aholden12592 said:
well first off i didn't get it for gaming. and second another post said that they run fine i just want to make sure that it applies to my model of macbook too

There are essentially two models of MacBooks (discounting the color change), eschewing the MacBook Pro entirely: 1.83 GHz and 2.0 GHz. So you're getting about the same performance either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.