MacBook Gaming!

Discussion in 'Games' started by lewion, May 31, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

lewion

I've seen numerous topic's which actually clear out nothing.
    What i want, and i know, i'm new and people start flaming now.. but!
    Wow fps
    HL2 fps
    Doom3 fps
    Quake4 (if it runs) fps
    Enemy Territory fps
    And Maybe oblivion, although it would be very low...

Bootcamp and osx please.. Because my games would probably be in windows...

Anyone who has a macbook and these games, please try it. Use lowest then mid and then highest settings to get a real benchmark..

I also want to know the exact difference between osx and gaming on windows on a macbook. I know i'm asking much. But right now i'm on a amd athlon xp 2400+ 2ghz Nvidia Gf fx 5700LE 1024Mb ddr 333. And i really want to know if the macbook is outperforming my system. That nvidia card is normally really low. And i would like to get things straigt before i buy a macbook. I hope and i really hope someone out there would respond to my questions, as i'm looking for a mac since ages and now i maybe buy one.

Thanks in advance.

LeWiOn

2. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If you plan on playing Doom 3, HL 2 and Quake 4, the MacBook isn't for you. It's just the way it is at the moment. :(

3. thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

No, i'm not grazy, although cs and hl2 would be nice, it's just to see the difference with my pc atm. I benchmarked Doom3 High quality 800*600 on my pc and it's running at a max of 15 fps. It's fast enough for me. i just want to know these things running on macbook with low - med - high settings so i can benchmark my pc and then see if mb is better...

4. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

But that MacBook Pro has a real GPU, people who want to do that sort of gaming should really consider the Pro. :)

5. thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

Oh dear, if i could get 2000 euro i would buy it.. But it's just to see the difference now. I'd probably wait till revision B macbook as it probably will have the gma 965 which is said to be much better...

6. macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yea, we really needed yet another thread on this.... :rolleyes:

7. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

If you want HL2 results, look at the thread I started about gaming on the macbook.

There really is a lot of threads like this.

Basically all you need to know is

YES you can play most games on your macbook, Hlaflife at about 25fps with everything on HIGH, just over 30 on Medium.

WOW at about 20-25 on OS X and 22-30 on Bootcamp

If they seem acceptable to you, then your grand.
    If your the type who never settles for anything below 60, look elsewhere.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

I want tests on the other games too.. as i don't own wow nor HL2.. And yes this is another thread.. but no other threath gives me what i need.. tons of people who post oh no yet another thread.. they just don't get it... i need support and i ask it.. And no no one has posted fps on doom 3 enemy territory and quake 4 so **** with the Oh no...

Oh and macrumoruser.. this was not for you... only the first too things.. Your thread helped me with some things.. and yours was the only one that cleared things a bit up.. but still not as i want it to be

9. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

No bother :D I just think people are getting tired of macbook threads generally, not picking on you. You got to admit theres so so many.

I'd have given Doom 3 a go if it hadnt been for the pain in the arse crashing I had that day and windows being its usual self.

Quake 4 should in theory be better results than doom 3 because of the dual core patch meaning it gets extra boost from the extra processor.

I don't have a copy of that though i'm afraid (i bought it on the 360 and thought the game wasnt particularly good anyway)

I may and thats definetly only a 'may' re-install windows on my macbook again at some stage (when I'm bored and looking for somthing to do :) ) and if I have doom 3 off my neighbour I'll post results then.

:) by the way whats Enemy Territory? Is that the new Quake game ?

10. thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

No, it's the old Online based multiplayer version of return to castle wolfenstein. But still very very popular. It's free, you should give it a go.. it's for mac too.. Oh and i would be really glad if you could run doom 3 at lowest mid and high settings to give me fps in all..
    Also could you make a video of hl2 playing on a mac?? since i really don't know if 20-30fps is good.. eve 17 fps looks good on doom 3, it depends on the game i think.. Anyway i play doom 3 average 15fps and i'm feeling great with it.. Thanks in advance.. Oh and could you pm me your msn?? cuz i think it's easier to ask my question in a rapid way to you.. you're the only on who actually helped me a bit.

11. macrumors 6502a

If you're considering a MacBook and have a gaming PC, sell the PC and take that cash to step-up to the MBP. Best of both worlds.

12. thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

No, it's about doing away my pc to get a macbook... otherwise i can't get 1000 euro together.. I'm just 17 and i don't have a job or something.. Get 40euro / month from my parents so....

13. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Barefeats just did a nice comparison of Macbook and others and it aint very pretty, no matter what the Macbook pushers say Mac book isnt a gaming machine by any stretch. check herehttp://www.barefeats.com/mbcd3.html

14. macrumors 65816

the macbook pushers?

I've read a couple of posts from people who have the macbook, and are playing games on it right now, enjoying it... but I don't think I've seen anyone claiming they can do something they can't, and trying to push them on anyone...

<edit> and I appreciate barefeats, but they were out to prove a point. turning settings up to max resolution and the highest settings possible for a configuration is not a way to find out if the machine can handle the games, it's a way to show people that integrated graphics < dedicated graphics, which we all know. as others on these forums have shown, while no one is a fan of integrated graphics, it does work for light gaming.

15. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Go read a few titles of some of these threads and you will know what i mean, benches tell the story. Mac book is fine for cpu stuff but you want to run any modern games that Integrated graphics will expose itself. Barefeats has the proof.

16. macrumors 65816

and again. barefeats had an agenda. people here, posting their results don't. and here's what they keep saying: it's not a gaming machine, but it can handle playing the games if you don't want to do everything at the highest settings possible. no-one is trying to 'push' the macbook on anyone, they're trying to get rid of the notion that people are pushing (like yourself) that you can't play games on them at all, and they're nothing but a waste of money. some people find 30fps completely acceptable in a game, some are okay with not running at the full resolution their monitor is capable of. and plenty of people will continue to enjoy games on their macbook while you continue to cry foul play on apple's behalf.

17. macrumors 6502

iHeartTheApple

Agreed. Once again...I and others are playing games on our MacBooks right now. I've posted my results so far on my thread regarding my stock MB and WoW performance and *for me* it runs perfectly fine. That's without maxed out ram and hdd speed. Great, so the MBP destroys my MB for games...that's fine, but the MBP is also almost double the price...and depending on the model, it can be more than double. I don't understand why people are so on about shooting down MacBooks and their owners who *actually* know what it can do...rather than base their claims off of benchmarks.

I respect what barefeats is trying to do, too. I just think that people need to understand what the data is telling them. Most people don't have a clue about frame rates. They see two numbers...and the MB number is always the lesser of the two. To them, that means the MB is inadequate.

I can actually verify that I get right about 16-18fps in Ironforge at primetime, just as barefeats reports. Even though I get a drop in frame rate ever so often, if I'm the worst I see is 16-18 in a location with hundreds of players, then I'm happy as a clam! Because this adds up to me seeing mid-20's to low 30's while questing/grinding/farming...and that's just dandy for me.

Again, I'll post back on the performance changes when I install the new 2GB RAM and 7200rpm HDD.

PS Sorry for getting all worked up...:eek: I just can't stand when people tell me that what I'm *actually* experiencing, right here, right now, in the flesh is not true...:rolleyes:

18. macrumors 6502

Rickay726

yeah mac book isnt just for gaming, ur better off going with a windows gaming computer instead of using bootcamp and windows.

19. thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

No, that would be out of option.. it's about having a mac and having games like et and hl2 to run at an acceptable 25-30fps...
    i'm asking no more. But you guys seem to ******** everything.
    I want details! not some lazy ass saying oh no it wouldn't be good for gaming, oh no and as for barefeats, it's not a real time benchmark he's doing, everything maxed, well my gaming computer runs maxed games at only 5-7 fps so **** him! i want low -mid -high configs and details on fps in all so i can ****in look at my own pc and then find out if it's better, if you don't get it, go **** yourself.

Ps: this was to you and the other asses who don't give me right answers

hands up for macrumoruser!! he's the only good person in this world! and iheartapple is a good guy too..

I'm not a hardcore gamer and i never will be, so i don't need hardcore looks at 150+ fps when your eyes can only get 30 fps !

Enough said now, and i want answers.
    If ya don't have answers don't post!

Oh yeah, sorry for my language but i'm getting really pissed of at these noobs not getting my questions!

20. macrumors 6502a

paddy

Your title says your a newbie. :rolleyes:

21. thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

I'm new here, but i'm not a noob... i shall see this as sarcasm and i won't be pissed of at you k
    actually i'm already sliding the forums like a month but i just registered today.. i'm sick of don't getting answers

22. macrumors 6502a

Xephian

I might post some benchmarks on various games on my MB once I get my 2GB RAM some time today. 512MB isn't enough for anything. I'll try Doom 3, Far Cry, BF1942, F.E.A.R., and Halo.

23. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If Apple offered a $50 option for a "real" Gpu all this would be nil but instead Apple plays the move up game rather then allowing you to get what you want. Im convinced with a real GPU Macbook would be fantastic! instead it gets crippled so Apple may move you into a probook. Thats sales crap from years gone by,GM use to try that crap:rolleyes: this is 2006. There isnt any reason not to have a $50 option for christ sake. So here we are, you must buy the laptop with the free integrated graphics....or must buy a loaded laptop with some stuff you dont need.

24. macrumors newbie

Emperor

25. thread starter macrumors regular

lewion

Xephian, that would be cool, but if you do so, can you play them thrue Bootcamp too??? Thanks in advance...
    Emperor, i've already seen that, but still thank you!!!

There was also a video of running doom, ut, nfsmw and so on on the macbook, although i've not been able to find it anymore..

People start to respond the way people like me need it! thanks for the posts atm.. if only they all where like this :rolleyes: