MacBook GMA950 Shared Memory Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jovian9, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I sold my 12" PB last week and purchased a MacBook. So far I am enjoying it. It seems to choke some but I think that is b/c I have the base 512MB RAM (will upgrade in a month or so to 2GB) and it is the low-end MB. I miss the aluminum already but I can definitely tell that anything bigger than the 13" would not have been acceptable (I've had 12", 14", and 17" Apple laptops and I find that the 12" was perfect for me but this is acceptable).
    My question is about the shared memory. I read Apple's site and it states somewhere that it utilizes 80MB of the system memory for video. I also installed XP on here (useful for some time reporting/tracking that is IE/Windows only for my work and b/c there are some games I am interested in). Under my system info in XP it states that I have the following:

Genuine Intel CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz 988Mhz, 480MB of RAM

This means it is only utilizing 32MB of the memory for video. Is there a way to change settings to get it to utilize more? I believe I've read that with integrated graphics and XP one can adjust this as they feel necessary. I have no idea how to do that though. I do understand that 512MB is not much....and like I said above that will be taken care of soon. But for now I'd just like to know how to get Windows to utilize more than 32MB for video.
    Thanks!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

XP will auto assign the amount of memory needed by an application, users dont need to do this, for example with 1gb in a white macbook, XP used 234mb of ram for video when playing a game.

Dont worry about it. :)