MacBook good enough for graphic designing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by extraextra, Jun 29, 2006.

1. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I have two concerns over the MacBook that are preventing me from buying it.

Is the integrated graphics chip suited for use with Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator? I realize that these are not universal yet, but when they are, will they work seamlessly with the Macbook? (ie no lagging) Everyone says that the chip works well if you get enough memory and don't do 3D work; will the chip be able to handle several applications/windows open at once?

Secondly, is the glossy screen a problem with colors? It seems that the glossy display is very bright and saturated which worries me, it will hide the "real" colors of my work and make it look weird on other computers. Especially since I do a fair bit of photography along with my graphic design.

Please advise me on what to do! If the Macbook is bad then I can go with the Macbook Pro even though the size is a little too big.....

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It'll work better than the previous 12 inch PowerBook and iBook would and should be just fine, since you're not going to use it for 3D work.

As with any LCD, it's going to take some acclimation but reflections are somewhat distracting from my short time with the glossy displays.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, you won't have any troubles with 2D graphical design using an integrated video chipset. Just make sure to have at least 1 GB of RAM.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

For all non-3D work, the Macbook will be every bit as fast as the equivalent Macbook Pro.

The screen is the only thing you'll have to worry about. I love it, personally, but the finish bugs a lot of people here.

5. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I love the glossy screen! I don't no how I ever lived without one:D

And the integrated graphics aren't bad, I play Doom 3 on medium to high setting without a problem:)

6. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I know someone who is a graphic designer, and is a heavy user of photoshop. Beleive it or not, he runs it fine on a 400Mhz G4 tiBook with 384MB RAM.:eek:

7. vicki2314 macrumors member

i'm studying graphic design and i've seen the glossy displays at the apple store and did not like them. they look great but everything looks a bit more saturated and contrasty than it really is and that can be a problem when it comes to designing... at least for me it would be! since you're familiar with photography it's like a 3 1/2 filter was placed on the screen in the darkroom :)

8. nnick macrumors regular

nnick

I use Creative Suite 1.3 on my MacBook and it works just fine. A bit slower than a on a G5 because it is not a universal binary application

9. extraextra thread starter macrumors 68000

extraextra

Thank you for all the help guys! I am glad to know that applications will not have any troubles.

Vicki you make good points, I was worried about the same thing. The glossy screen really bothers me on the MacBook. With the glossy screen it is guess and check it seems. Despite the size I'm thinking I will go for a Macbook Pro. I will have to skip a few meals to afford it .... :p

I am waiting until the fall to buy a new laptop so maybe improvements are made to either models.

10. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

The glossy screen isn't bad, it looks great. I can't wait until CS3, because Photoshop runs pretty bad in Rosetta. I was using it in the Apple Store on a 2.0GHz Macbook with 1GB of RAM and it was not very responsive. :(