Macbook good enough for video editing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pepejeria, Mar 15, 2007.

1. pepejeria macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2007
    I will soon buy me a macbook or a macbook pro. I am kind of leaning towards the macbook since it's smaller and easier to carry around.

I will use it for programming and video editing. Question is, is the graphic card in the macbook good enough for this? Or do I have to get the pro version.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    Yes MacBook Is Fine For Video Editing

Yes it's fine. If you can wait for the next refresh after Leopard ships it will be even better.
  3. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2004
    Nagoya, Japan
    At the Apple store, the Macbooks have Final Cut Express installed. You can fire it up and open some sample projects. It runs quite well in my opinion.

Mind you, future versions of Apple's video editing software will rely on Core Image and Core Video more and more, using your video hardware to perform edits and effects in real-time. I think Motion already does this. As such, you can expect a pro Mac like the Macbook Pro to be more suitable, particularly in the future.
  4. neyoung macrumors member

Jan 15, 2007
    Don't let that prevent you from buying a MacBook Pro. I have a 15" MBP and its easily portable. I have no problem carrying it all around.
  5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois

I'd strongly consider a MacBook Pro if you have the money, it's easy to carry around.
  6. HOSKINGJ macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2006
    I was wondering exactly the same thing before I bought mine. I had never had a computer capable of video editing before, and was hoping my MacBook would be up to the challenge. Mine is the latest 2Ghz Core2Duo model with 2GB ram, and it has no problems with standard definition footage whatsoever; Final Cut Pro loads very quickly, and techniques such as timeline scrubbing etc are a breeze. However, the screen size is simply too small to work on with large projects, and I use my HDTV as a (crude) second monitor. Also, heavy use of motion graphics such as that found within After Effects/Shake is not an option due to the MacBook's joke of a graphics card.

The MacBook Pro's screen is just large enough to really do video editing, and of course it has all the power.

Depending on how much editing you do and to what level, that would sway the decision for me :)
  7. mcanadiensfan71 macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2007
    wait for the leopard and santa rosa to come out
  8. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    If this is going to be main post-production machine, you will be much better serverd by the Pro. But even 15" is too small a screen in my opinion. So, the options are the 17" and/or a second monitor. I read posts here saying the 17" weighs too much. The thing weighs less than 7 pounds. By the time you add the bag, power cord, mouse, cables, etc., it is probably closer to 12-15 pounds. That is nothing. Anyone between the ages of 15-50, and without physical challenges, should be able to carry this easily. For me, there is nothing worse than having insufficient screen real estate.
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Of course the screen is too small. That should have been obvious before you bought the 13.3" MacBook.

How good does it do with an external LCD plugged into it, when running in clamshell mode?
  10. HOSKINGJ macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2006
    I don't use it in clamshell mode, I use the MacBook screen to display the timeline and the HDTV to display my main preview window blown up. Of course it's very crude because my MacBook and HDTV are calibrated differently. Also, my HDTV only has WXGA (not DVI), so the image's contrast/colours slightly change due to it being an analogue signal.
  11. nkadlac macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    Absolutely great. I have mine hooked up to a 24 in dell and doesn't seem to lag one bit. I also edit on it using final cut, but usually in clamshell.
  12. juanster macrumors 68020

Mar 2, 2007
    if you can ithink you should wait fro santa rosa to come out, take a look at MB vs MBP then .. an dthen decide, maybe MB will be more than enought for the level of editing you need to do, if it already isn't
  13. zioxide macrumors 603

Dec 11, 2006
    The macbook is way more than enough to run any video editing software. Right now I'm editing 720p HDV on a 12.1'' 1.33Ghz iBook G4 with 1GB of ram, and while rendering is slow as ****, I can still edit fine as long as I'm patient. Final Cut runs perfectly. Also, you can edit on a 13.3'' screen fine. Of course the bigger screen is nicer, but it's no big deal.
    Macbook's are excellent for video editting. I've used a friends macbook for half a week because I needed to be mobile while doing video editting and multitasking where i had up to 8 apps open. It's an awesome machine, and that was only the CD macbook. A macbook with 1gb of ram does fine and 2gb is excellent. The graphics will be just fine as well. But if you have the time to wait ...wait for the release of leopard which is supposed to be in the spring, and now its spring :D . btw, it is possible to do editting on an ibook 12" screen so its even better with the 13.3" wide screen aspect ratio.