MacBook Graphics Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MatthewConnelly, Nov 8, 2006.

1. MatthewConnelly macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I finally got a full time job (fresh out of college in the UK) and I will have some spare cash very soon. :D I've already decided on getting a MacBook, but I just want to know one thing. Does Photoshop run better with a physical graphics card, or will the integrated graphics and 2GB RAM run it fine?

I would go and have a look in the Apple store near me, but they don't have any of the big Adobe products on the MacBooks, only on the Pro models and iMacs etc.

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Photoshop is a 2D program. The graphics card has no effect on it. You're more bound on the CPU and RAM.

4. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I'm so glad to hear that, I wasn't sure though! I guess there's no reason for me to hold out on buying my first Mac then!

5. JAT macrumors 603

The only issue will be that Photoshop is not yet native on Intel Macs, and not as fast as other programs. (certainly usable, though) If you need to buy the software, you might want to wait until CS3 comes out in the spring rather than drop $$hundreds twice. Wait on PS, I mean. Not on the computer.

6. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

Photoshop does use the GPU for screen redraws, but other than that it has no effect (and even that is minimal). So the short answer is no, it wont make too much of a difference.

But worth noting is, as has been said, PS is not yet a native App so it has Rosetta strapped to its back all the time. PS and Rosetta are both absolute RAM hogs, so load up your system with as much RAM as you can.

The MB will lag a little bit with Photoshop until it's released as a Universal Binary in the Spring, but if you don't do a ton of print resolution work, I think you'll find it more than fast enough for day-to-day use.

7. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

Yeah i'm aware of those issues after reading some posts on this forum. I'm just glad that I don't have to spend an extra £500 for a MBP!

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah the GMA950 can handle those 2D redraws via Quartz. Now if Photoshop starts using 3D transitions/transformations in the GUI we might have an issue. :rolleyes: