macbook hard disc making unusual noises

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Aegelward, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Aegelward macrumors 6502

okay. to get to the jist of it my macbooks hard drive has been making some strange noises.

reguarally every few secconds it makes a noise thats almost like a "tick", reguardless of other disc activity that may be going on. this has only started occouring today. i havent restarted yet.. but fundementally it should not be making this noise.

i was considering upgrading to a larger disc in the next few months, and if my disc holds out untill then, thats fine. but if anything should happen any advice. i'll shut down for a while and see if that makes any diffrence shortly.

2. batman123 macrumors regular

Well if it hasnt been making these noises and it agree that it isnt normal. I strongly advise you to backup any of your important data on your HD.
    Try doing a search for HD noises, im pretty sure that some other people have had this "tick". :)

Batman.

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I mentioned it in a thread here but people claimed I was just being pedantic.

What type and size of hdd do you have? I was going to return my Seagate Momentus today.

4. Aegelward thread starter macrumors 6502

after shutting down for a couple of hours, the problem has gone to way, i'm glad to say.

but i have the stock fujitsu 60 gig drive.

- ps. if anyone can point me in the direction of a tutorial to slim down os x it would be apreciated

5. wxboss macrumors member

wxboss

I posted the same thing in Apple's forum a while back when I first got the MB. I noticed it about a week after getting it.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's normal. I did install SMARTReporter just to give me some peace of mind.