Macbook hard disk noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vazza, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Vazza macrumors member

I've recently noticed that the hard disk on my C2D MB (which I bought in November) is making a regular clicking noise (each click is about 30s - 1min apart) when using programs as well as when it is idle. I don't remember hearing it as often as this in the past (it would make the noise for a little while and then disappear)...is it anything to worry about or is it just normal activity? I was told it could just be OS X defragmenting files in the background or is it something more sinister? :eek:

I have run the Disk Utility and the S.M.A.R.T. status is "verified". The hard disk is a FUJITSU MHV2080BHPL.

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I remember reading somewhere that a clicking HD is a sign that it's going to die - like, it's gone bad. I would back everything up right now, if you haven't already.

3. chatoyer macrumors regular

Lots of hard drives make funny noises that make you wonder just what the heck is going on. They are not always a sign of an impending problem, though.

My two-month old C2D MB starting doing this about 4 weeks ago. It is very intermittent, and usually goes away if I power down for about 15 minutes. I emailed the place I bought it (we don't have Apple stores here) and included an audio recording. They said two things: 1) could be a dying hard drive, or 2) could be a corrupt disk directory. They suggested to bring it in and they would check both. I declined, as it seems to very intermittent and, as I mentioned, solveable. As of now (17 Jan), it has done it once in the past 10 days.

Yes, backup. I do a full clone with SuperDuper everynight, so am not too worried. I also use SMARTreporter in the menu bar to (hopefully) warn of any impending problems.

4. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

After powering down for a bit, it seems to have gone :)...yeah, I do backup regularly but what I was more worried about was I'd have to send it for repair at a time I really do need it for work.