Macbook hard disk upgrade question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hircus, Mar 31, 2007.

1. hircus macrumors member

I've checked the Macrumors upgrade guide as well as BlackMacBook.com's, and both are in agreement as to the hard drive upgrade procedure. Neither of them mentioned whether replacement 2.5" disks come with a white plastic tab.

If off-the-shelf 2.5" disks do not, in fact, come with them, how could they be removed?

I'll probably get a slightly smaller hard drive from Apple if I know I could safely upgrade it later. Thanks!

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded my harddrive last night, and it was a very painless procedure. The toughest part was waiting an hour and a half for Carbon Copy Cloner to finish so I could get started :p

anyway, the white tab is attached to a metal frame that is screwed onto the internal harddrive. When you take the harddrive out, you take off the frame (using a Torx T8 screwdriver - I got mine at Radio Shack) and screw it onto the new harddrive. It's a very simple procedure, just make sure you are using a T8 screwdriver!

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

NO they don't, but that can easily be removed - with screws - from the original drive and put on the new one. I upgraded mine to 160GB using a drive from newegg.

4. hircus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks both. Will make sure I get the screwdriver when I attempt the upgrade!

5. TheAtwookie macrumors newbie

I am looking into upgrading the HD on my Macbook (I bought it at Fry's with the 2.0GHZ duo core processor, but with a 60 gig HD and 512 ram for under $1k).

To confirm, the drive has to be a 2.5" drive, and what kind of connector does it need to have?

I was looking at this drive (somebody else said they had installed a 160gb HD in their MB?): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148073

I went to the guides on this Web site, but didn't see anything about hard drive size or type, just more of how to get at it and swap them.

Thanks for the help!

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It needs to be SATA (Serial ATA)

THe ATA-6 (Parallel ATA, IDE) drive in the link will not work

7. TheAtwookie macrumors newbie

Thanks so much! Now I know what I'm looking for, because 60 gigs is almost completely full and it's only been a few months haha.

8. Snakehips macrumors newbie

Screws and Vibes!

I have just bought and done an internal HD upgrade to my Macbook C2D. I installed a 160GB Western Digital Scorpio drive to replace the 80GB Toshiba.

The new internal hard drive cradle (the one that has the 4 x torx screws) has now got two different types of screws. 2 screws have a small flange (like a washer that is part of the screw head) and 2 screws that don't have the flange.

In my haste in laying all the parts out for an easy re assembly I confused the different screws.

Can anyone tell me if they can confirm if the screws without the flange go nearest to the Sata connector? I am fairly certain this is correct. But it would be nice to know for sure.

One other question maybe someone knows about. My new Western Digital drive has vibration that my original Toshiba didn't have. I first noticed it when I put the drive into an external case for cloning. I thought maybe the Macbook chassis might suppress the vibration completely but it didn't. I am just wondering if this is 'normal' for this type of drive.

Thanks in advance

9. Gee4orce macrumors regular

Can someone confirm what physical size HD is correct for the Macbook ? I know it's 2.5", but looking online I see listings for 2.5 x 1.8H and 2.5 x 1.6H, as well as just plain 2.5" !