Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Not really looking for advice or anything, maybe just sympathy. ;)

My Macbook is (was) on its second hard drive, and that one just failed this morning. The first one failed in July, almost exactly 2 months after getting it. This morning I was browsing the web when suddenly the entire machine locked up, including the mouse pointer. At that point, I heard the same dreaded click of death that I heard from the first hard drive when it failed. Sure enough, several attempts to restart the computer only resulted in the same loud click-click-click-click, followed by whirr, and then silence.

7 months later, drive #2 is dead. What are the odds of that? Especially with Seagate, which seems to have a pretty decent reputation for reliability?

I'll spend tonight trying unsuccessfully to get it to boot just once so I can pull data off of it. I know that's a lost cause, but I gotta try. Tomorrow I'll bring it in to the Apple Store for replacement of the drive.

The irony in all of this is what I wrote after the first drive failed:

I've certainly learned my lesson!
  1. Make regular backups
  2. Keep sensitive data on an encrypted disk image
So I did #1 this time, but not #2. That certainly would have made this whole thing a non-issue. Time to start...

LOL. So much for learning my lesson. :eek: While the first time I had a fresh backup (by chance), this time I don't. The only data I can think of that hasn't been copied to another computer at some point includes a few dozen photos I took over the weekend, and an iMovie of my dogs playing in the snow over Christmas (we don't get snow around here). Sucks to lose that, but it could have been worse.

As for #2, I actually did learn my lesson. All sensitive data was on encrypted disk images this time around. Thank goodness I don't have that dilemma to worry about!

Now all I have to do is put them together and do both from now on. :rolleyes: The frustrating thing is that I have a perfectly good 40 GB drive in my dead iBook, and I've been meaning to pull it out and put it in an external enclosure for ages. Haven't gotten around to it yet, mainly because it's such a pain to get at in the iBook. That would have been perfect for a random-backup-of-important-stuff drive. Even better if Leopard were already out. Time Machine, o Time Machine, when will Apple set you free? :D

Oh well. Maybe this time I'll be able to upgrade to a bigger disk by paying the difference in price. That'd be cool if they let me.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Time Machine wouldn't really help unless you were using an external hard drive. Which you'd be using to back up to anyways...

Today's lesson is...BACK UP MORE. :D

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Time Machine wouldn't really help unless you were using an external hard drive. Which you'd be using to back up to anyways...

Right, but it pretty much eliminates the tedious task of figuring out what changed since the last backup and only copying that stuff. Even if I only hook it up to the external disk once a week or so, that's pretty darn good. Just plug it in before bed and no worries.

Today's lesson is...BACK UP MORE. :D

Yes, yes it is. I think that should be every day's lesson. The vast majority of people don't pay enough attention to it. We should lobby for all the major television news programs to close with "Goodnight, and don't forget to back up your computer!" :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Right, but it pretty much eliminates the tedious task of figuring out what changed since the last backup and only copying that stuff. Even if I only hook it up to the external disk once a week or so, that's pretty darn good. Just plug it in before bed and no worries.
I just use iBackup and have it run a differential.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.