macbook hardrive upgrade help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cforand1293, Feb 11, 2007.

1. cforand1293 macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    So I have a macbook, with a 60 gig hardrive. To small.. I have a 300 gig external, but i want to upgrade my internal. So i need help with what hardrive to go with. any thoughts would be great!

2. tsvb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
  3. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    As the above post states, all you have to do is get a larger size 2.5" SATA harddrive. Installation is a breeze and you should be able to do this easily by removing the battery. There is documentation on apple's website on how to do this. It should be under support and user installable parts. Hard drives are going pretty cheap. If you don't have a lot on the harddrive you can do a fresh install. If you don't want to lose a bunch of information you can use a free utility like carbon copy to clone to the hardrive to the new one, but you will need an external hard drive case that fits 2.5" drives.
  4. munckee macrumors 65816

Oct 27, 2005
    I forgot how easy they made this with the macbooks. Anyone had warranty issues after swapping?
  5. gelatin macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2006
  6. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2006
    Nope, I've swapped it and when I had to get it repaired (then replaced), there was no problem. They just told me to put back to the original hard drive.
  7. butaro macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2006
    9.5mm height don't forget that, there are some drives that are 12.5mm which will not fit (even though EVERYTHING listed on them looks the same as a 9.5mm)
  8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Just FYI, you're going to need a Torx T8 screwdriver to get the housing off the current HD and on to your new one.
  9. gollum macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2007
    Just put a Western Digital Scorpio 160 gb from NewEgg ($125) in my MacBook yesterday along with 2 gb's of RAM ($145), plus a SATA external drive for my original 80 gb. ($30).
    Other than my computer being a lot faster with 80 gb's of free space and zero pageouts, I don't notice a single difference, couldn't be happier !!! :D