macbook hardshells

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by infz, Mar 4, 2007.

1. infz macrumors member

infz

I'm buying a black macbook this week!! :D I'm soooo excited. I've spent all week looking at shiny pretty cases and things to protect it once I get it. I don't want any scratches... also style is important to me (lol). I was all set to order a translucent-blue Speck See*Thru hardshell case, but then I came across the UNIEA Leather U-Suit for Macbook.

I'm really torn between these two. I guess the only concern I have (with both of them, but particularly the Uniea's) is heat dispersion along the bottom. Has anyone seen or used a Uniea U-Suit? Is it going to catch fire!? I don't know why, but I think I'd trust the Speck shell more. Also, which shell do you think is prettier, on a blackbook? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

2. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

For sure the Speck See*Thru it looks soo cool i am buying a MBP at the end of the month and now i know i want one of the cases

3. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

I have the red one on my macbook(before the blue shell came out) when under light, the shell will show scartches. and it came and it wasnt as strong of plastic as I imagined it would be since they charge a lot(for overnight shipping and the shell it was 73 dollars) i dont keep the bottom part of the shell on all the time because i dont use the battery when im laying on my bed. Overall i like the speck shells over some others ive seen and i like them quite a bit. BUT, i put it on my brand new C2D white macbook and i think the shell separated the plastic on the top trackpad surface from the outer shell where you open the macbook. (im not sure if my shell is to blame)

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I have a Speck case on my MacBook, and it disperses heat fine. I haven't noticed any increases in temps at all since I put it on. Of course, the only downside is I can't figure out for the life of me how to get the top of the case off now...

5. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

well if you can, there are little tab like things right on the bottom left and right corners of the display about a half an inch over the power adapter port and if you can get those off, you can most likely get the top off

6. infz thread starter macrumors member

infz

Alright, I'm convinced -- going for the Speck See*Thru. Am excited :) I hope the blue looks good on black macbook.

Question though, does the case prevent the screen from tilting back all the way?

7. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

try to find something that is black and that is transparent and find something blue thats transparent also to see the color might look like.
    well if you want the screen to back till its flat, it doesnt do that even normally but i use it(the screen) pretty far back so i dont think it will alter the way you use it very much

8. rbs2 macrumors newbie

I got the UNIEA Leather U-Suit. I like the U-Suit rather than the See-Thru becase U-Suit inner is strong PVC and outter is leather which provides protection and furnish my MacBook with leather as well. Some friends told me that See-Thru's plastic shell is not tough enough and easily get scratches on. Also, I think that the color is too transparent which really can't see the difference after putting it on.

In fact, my major concern is heat resistant as well. U-Suit has whole open space at the back for heat to escape. But, See-Thru only has some wholes. Overall, I like Leather U-Suit. I like my MacBook being covered with Leather. :D

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

There's also the Techshell which is $10 more than the SeeThru but I've read is less bulky and more durable.

10. infz thread starter macrumors member

infz

My See-Thru came in the mail this same week that I ordered it... I don't even have my macbook yet!! :confused:

It looks nice :D I can't wait to see it on the macbook. The plastic is pretty flimsy, but that might be a good thing -- it's very light and I can tell it will let heat out. I'll post lots of photos once my macbook arrives :)

I couldn't find enough pictures of the Techshells, and most of them cover the glowing mac which makes me sad. The UNIEA's still look comfy, but hey does it fit well over the macbook? There aren't enough pictures of them either (none with a black macbook!), and also what with customs I'm glad I didn't go for anything more expensive than the See-Thru... I could just let the macbook get scratched and also have an iPod shuffle lol.

11. What macrumors newbie

techshells

do the techshell give the macbooks breathability?

I think shells should be used primarliy for white macbooks.

If your paying the extra 100 dollars for a black macbook, covering it doesn't make sense. The black macbooks are made of matte material and does not get as scratched easily. Thats just me though. I wouldn't want to pay extra.

12. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Really? I have seen plenty and I feel that because of the matte, scratches (which turn shiny, or at least a tad shinier than the matte) are even more apparent. I don't know which is worse, the white or the black... but at least with the white there are some angles where you can't see the scratches (a few).

13. infz thread starter macrumors member

infz

The case is also to protect the macbook from people spilling stuff on it!! I was coding in a bar with my old macbook this one time and a guy almost spilled his beer on it!! That woulda been awful. :)

14. mz.bhvn macrumors member

I'd love a See-Thru Shell MacBook 13" RED ... but they're pretty expensive... $AU94.95!!!! Tad too much just for a case! Might save up for one though hehe. I love red.