macbook hd upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j5uh, Mar 26, 2007.

1. j5uh macrumors member

hello all,

I just bought my macbook last friday and i love every bit of it =)
    I bought the C2D 2ghz 1gbRAM 80gbHD White MB.

I just ordered my g.skill 2x1gb sticks so that'll give me 2gigs total...
    now i want to upgrade the 80gbHD ... I found this on newegg for $104 for a 160gbHD. So cheap! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136071

Will this one work on my macbook without any problems?

Also, is there an easy way to clone my hd that im using now and cloning it on to the new one i'm going to order?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

That seems like a good drive. You'll need an enclosure for the other drive or an external drive to clone your current drive over to. You can use something like Carbon Copy Cloner for that, or just do a clean reinstall of your system on the new drive and use the migration assistant to move things over from the old drive.

3. j5uh thread starter macrumors member

4. civilizedrat macrumors regular

I'm having the same conundrum. From what I gather, any of these will work, since the drive already in the MacBook is SATA. I'm planning on getting the same WD 160GB drive with either of these enclosures for the MacBook's internal 60GB.

5. j5uh thread starter macrumors member

6. civilizedrat macrumors regular

Evidently. I think the ones that popularly show in the search results for 2.5 enclosures are usually IDE format. Although I'm a newbie, I'm figuring that these wouldn't be compatible with the drive that we'd be swapping OUT of the MacBook, which is a SATA. So...

I dont think SATA enclosures are very popular.

7. j5uh thread starter macrumors member

sweet.. i just orderd my casing and my 160gb hd. =) will be here next wed or so. =)

8. civilizedrat macrumors regular

I'm ordering the hard drive too and the silver Bytecc casing next week. Post your experience with the drive, if you can. Reports are that it vibrates the notebook noticeably. Which enclosure did you select?

9. j5uh thread starter macrumors member

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I picked up the hitachi travelstar 160 gig for only 120. Had a ton of reviews and alot of them were from mac owners. Also picked up the macally case for my old drive for a discounted package price. Both worked great and the drive is quiet, seems just like my old one, only bigger.

11. j5uh thread starter macrumors member

ok my review on the hd...

here's what i did..

1. i hooked up the new hd to the external casing and formatted and cloned my original hd with SuperDuper! software. Very easy to do, and took about an hour for 40gigs of data.

2. booted up while holding option key on the mac and loaded the OS through the new external hd.

3. all was well so I took it out of the external casing and loaded the new 160gb hd in the macbook which was easy!

4. booted up and all is running smooth. Now I have 150gb hd =) wheres my other 10gigs??? Haha.

Tips*

When installing your old hd into the external casing, put a piece of cardboard paper in between the case and the hd when inserting it in. without it, the hd moves around a lot inside.

Hope this helps!

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have that one holding my macbook's original 60 GB drive, and it works very well. It's only usb 2 (no firewire), but if you can live with that, it's great. Slim, functional, bus powered, and really easy to swap the drive in to.

13. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

According to the description this enclosure only supports drives up to 100GB. If I'm reading your info correctly you put a 160GB drive into it. Did it work fine?

14. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

15. j5uh thread starter macrumors member

yes it works fine. i was pisst when i saw that it said 100gb... but i tried and it worked fine =)

16. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Ok, I got my new drive in and it's in the external enclosure with SuperDuper copying my existing drive onto it.
    What would be the best way for me to transfer my iTunes library (which I currently keep on an external drive) to the new internal drive. I want to keep all of my ratings, playlists and podcast subscriptions.

17. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Well, I did the upgrade and it really couldn't have been any easier. The only somewhat difficult part for me was the shielding on the L-shaped bracket. I had a little trouble getting it tucked inside the case.

I did manage to get my iTunes library onto the new internal drive as well. Pretty simple....just tell iTunes to move the library then consolidate it.

18. j5uh thread starter macrumors member

glad it was easy. hope my post helped somewhat. =)

19. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Yes it certainly did.